97 z24 with 02 eco swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 z24 with 02 eco swap
Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:34 PM
Hi, im new to the cavi game, i was mopar since birth. I just purchased a 1997 cavi z24 with 81,000 on it. the 2.4 was swapped for a 02 2.2 ecotec and a 03 5 speed getrag. the car has no problems besides AC and the body is in beautiful shape. I only payed $2100 US for it. Sorry for the long post. now onto my questions...

1) what are some problems with these cars, specifically to my year and engine?

2) will ALL parts for the 2.2 ecotec fit mine, even though it was swapped?

3) whats the deal with the cat? cut it off or go high flow?

thanks for the help, i love this site

Re: 97 z24 with 02 eco swap
Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:47 PM
1) Now that you have the ecotec (how many km) you shouldn't have any problems there....the only problems then I could see you haveing is ones you would have with any low priced economy car thats nearly a decade old, but you are deff on the right track.

2) Any thing made for the 2.2L ecotec engine will fit if thats what you have in your car so yes

3) Well not having a cat is illegal but I am sure you knew that, but you could also have black smoke come out of your exhaust.....I say get a highflow. not having one is not going to gain you a bunch of power........

hope I was of some help and good luck with your car/new motor, what else do you have planned for it,and if you have any other question just ask.......

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:37 PM
i thought there was an issue with the first year (or two) ecotecs where they had a slightly different injector height? I could be wrong (very likely) but i thought i remember reading on the jbo about someone having problems with an aftermarket fuel rail b/c of that reason. He had the early design and had to swap to the later injectors to use it.

Also with early ecotecs eating timing chains from low oil flow? that was fixed later. I remember seeing mostly with grand ams and aleros that came with the eco. Buddy of mine worked at a pontiac dealership then, he 'informed' me of that when i was looking at my ion. still bought it anyway.

other than that, parts should swap fine. good deal on the eco swapped j for only $2100 It's one of the best engines the jbodies ever had in therm.

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Friday, February 03, 2006 6:33 AM
alright cool, thanks alot
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search