Saturn LW200 needs a lot more power - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn LW200 needs a lot more power
Monday, August 08, 2005 2:52 PM
Hi I have a Saturn LW200 wagon with the Ecotec 2.2 and I want more power any suggestions would be apreciated

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil

Re: Saturn LW200 needs a lot more power
Saturday, August 13, 2005 7:10 AM
L-series had an option for a 3.0 v6. Look in to swapping that in?

Same:
transmission auto (manual was only for a 2.2L)
trans. mounts
front axles

Different:
engine mount
mount support brackets (bolted on/ not welded)
PCM
BCM
Engine wire harness
struts
strut springs
PS pump
PS hoses
PS resevior
Saturday, August 13, 2005 7:17 AM
L series were considered luxary cars. Which might make finding performance parts for it very difficult.

SPS is a Saturn performance company, but it didn't look like they had anything for "L".

It my be possible to use performance parts for Ion, but that is not even 30% positive.

Gravana Tuning had some parts for "L", but not any engine mods.
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:28 PM
Philip Rodda wrote:Hi I have a Saturn LW200 wagon with the Ecotec 2.2 and I want more power any suggestions would be apreciated
i have a 03 l300 i almost got a l200 but after i drove the V6 i said he// no. the 300 has better suspension brakes along with a under rated v6 that hauls it to a top speed of 122 limited for a family car the l series is nice but they never ever should have offered it with the eco

see ya!

Sunday, August 21, 2005 3:04 PM
I drove the V6 first and when I drove the 4-cyl I thought it was the V6 . To this day I have never been dissapointed that i bought the 4-cyl. I could not see spending an extra $4k for leather and a V6 if it only makes 40hp more. I would be looking for more power from the V6 anyway. I have found my european counterparts with the vauxhaull Vectra make due with as small as a 1.6 so this engine is plenty for this car and mods are possible.

what I have found from pages like this one and many others is that the ecotec is a highly tuneable engine that responds well to mods.

Phil
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:56 AM
Any and all internal parts or an ecotec will be interchangable. Despite what car it is said to be for. For example: pistons, rods, cams, etc.

Intakes and headers might be different due to the different layouts in the engine compartment. Best to compare your engine compartment to other ecotec vehicles. Then figure out which is the ost similar and get and Intake and/or header for that vehicle.

As for intake manifolds, throttle bodies... look here to see the different ones for each vehicle. I do not know which part is the better part. Or if they will or won't fit in all ecotecs.

http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/read.php?f=4&i=2501&t=2501
Friday, August 26, 2005 3:32 PM
I am planning on a 3-6 psi turbo in the near future I would like more power and torque but no more noise. I have found that there are lots of tuners of this engine in europe but not many are turbo charging them.

Phil
Saturday, August 27, 2005 5:40 AM
Saab 9-3 was a turbo charged ecotec. Which you could cannibalize the parts off of and bolt on to any ecotec. There are lots of aftermarket turbo setups. Check out

aplusperformance.com
cavalierconnection.com
jtuners.com
Saturday, August 27, 2005 1:25 PM
the problem is finding a saab 9-3 in the wrecking yard

Phil
Friday, September 02, 2005 1:33 PM
www.car-part.com

Can search the whole country or states or sections of the coountry for salvaged parts. It also tells you grade of part, price and where located.
Friday, September 02, 2005 7:25 PM
ok lets see if stuff I can do my self will add power. I am thinking about porting and polishing my exhaust manifold, changing my mid pipe and rear section with something more free-flowing, and add a home-made cold air intake. I hope I can see oh 5-10hp. with just this before I go nuts and turbo the monster.

Phil
Saturn LW200

Phil

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 10:28 AM
That plan could give you 5-10 hp. In process of porting the ex. manifold; you could try and port out the intake manifold.

Getting a header would be better than porting the ex. manifold. The header would bolt up to any ecotec engine. But, the down pipe might not fit in the under carraige. You could just have muffler shop to bend put one together for you.

Or get an LSJ (2.0sc) ex. manifold. It would bolt up and it has a bigger collector than stock 2.2L. Or don't cause you would have to buy a turbo exhaust manifold when you go turbo. You will also need 2.5" exhaust after the turbo is put on.

Also, you could open up the intake and exhaust ports on the head itself. Opening the ports on the manifolds won't really do alot if the ports the air is coming out of is stock size.

Think, after this hurricane. There might a lot of salvagable parts in terms of Saab 9-3s.

Also, NJHK has made a great ecotec performance thread with parts and prices check it out:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=318797&t=318797
Sunday, September 18, 2005 6:27 AM
i think I'll pass on porting or polishing my mani and go with a new exhaust center section, in europe this is a big gainer in power,and modify my airbox for more air IN.

Phil
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search