Newby Ecotec owner changing oil filter - Help! - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newby Ecotec owner changing oil filter - Help!
Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:11 AM
I'm new to the 2.2 Ecotec and it looks like you guys know your stuff. I've looked at past posts and now know where the oil filter is. Thanks! But on my Sunfire, it seems that the intake system (and throttle body) is in the way. I can remove the tube from air filter to the rest of the intake and it still seems that the filter is not accessable. Can the filter actually be removed without disassembling further? Is it just a case of fiddling in a tight space? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Fergy

Re: Newby Ecotec owner changing oil filter - Help!
Sunday, November 05, 2006 9:27 AM
hey whats up brian, yea that is just basically it remove the intake tube and u just have to fiddle in that tight space. if you actually look there should be a little groove on the intake manifold right by the oil filter where you put the socket. i think it is a 22 or 23 mm socket? if you go to a dealership or on ebay you can actually buy the socket just for that oil filter. i personally just use the socket, open faced wrench or adjustable wrench. just be careful when you are doing it there is little room for clearance to turn the wrench and dont strip out the oil filter cap(cheap plastic).
Monday, November 06, 2006 5:36 AM
Thanks, Alex!

Yup, it's a fiddly job! We managed to get the cap off with an adjustable wrench but I'll be buying the 32mm/1.25" socket for future use. With the socket and a pair of wheel ramps, an oil change should be a 10 minute job, instead of the hour and 10 minutes it took yesterday. I actually like the Ecotec filter system - now that I've done it once. :-)

Fergy
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 2:45 PM
they sell a socket on ebay wich will probably be your best bet. i recoomend rplacing the cap if you did any damage to it.Filter socket

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search