Oil filter comparison. 2007 Ecotec 2.2L. - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil filter comparison. 2007 Ecotec 2.2L.
Saturday, June 16, 2007 5:30 PM
In my usual insane quest to understand all I can about the vehicles I one, I've started to collect some oil filters for my 2007 GM Ecotec 2.2L. I know there's a few Ecotec filter threads, maybe this will add to them.

Supertech ST9018- $5.42 @ Walmart
Fram CH9018- $5.57 @ Walmart
Carquest 84082 - $7.42 @ Carquest auto
AC Delco PF457G- $5.95 @ Dealership

The wally-world ST and Fram appear to be the same exact filter with slightly different badging. Both made in Bulgaria. So much for Champion Labs making ST's and Honeywell making Frams. Both of these name brands appear to be buying this type of filter from the same supplier. Either way, it looks like a decent filter. Nice tight, deep pleating & a rigid overall structure. Normally I would not purchase a Fram oil filter, but since it was actually a 'non-Fram' and only cents more than the Supertech, why not. It's for the sake of science.

The Carquest filter, which would normally be a Wix/Affinia unit, is made in S. Korea. This is the only filter in the bunch that comes with a replacement O-ring for the filter housing cap. A nice touch, but is it worth the extra two bucks? Maybe. Decent looking pleats but the structure can be twisted slightly. Probably not a big deal, but noticeable to a nut like me.

The dealer, ACD unit is clearly a USA built Hengst filter. I have no experience what so ever with Hengst. This filter has more exposed media than the rest both inside and out and has a nice rigid structure to it. Probably the best feature is it's built by the home team and the price is right too!

From the looks of these four filters, name brand means nothing. They all appear to outsource this style filter for some reason. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use any of them. They are all high quality looking filters with lots of media. It's a great setup on these Ecotecs. Filter change outs are almost as easy as pulling the basket on your pool filter/skimmer!

2007 Cobalt LS 4dr, 2.2L, Auto, bone stock deluxe poor man's package.

Re: Oil filter comparison. 2007 Ecotec 2.2L.
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:18 AM
Nice pics and info. Thanks for the comparisions. But I have to say I'll always pay for the home team filter!
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:20 AM
Me too Bud. That's the route I'll go once these 4 are used up. As long as this ACD filter remains a Hengst USA filter. That's where my $ will go.

Joel

2007 Cobalt LS 4dr, 2.2L, Auto, bone stock deluxe poor man's package.
Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:31 PM
I know this is an old thread, but you have two types of filters there, the two on the left are for the older engines, the two on the right are for the newer.
Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:04 PM
im pretty sure they will all work though
Sunday, January 04, 2009 6:23 PM
no, the ones from the newer engines can work in the older engines, but if you put one of the older ones in a newer engine, you can starve the engine of oil, they flow different amounts of oil.you may get away with it once, but it is imperative you use the right one for your engine, one person on saturnfans had his engine destroyed because of this.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search