Will not start - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Will not start
Monday, September 03, 2007 6:57 AM
Sorry if this was discussed in another spot, but I did not notice it. I was trying to figure out a problem with my cousin's 2.2 in an Alero. The car started to act up driving it home and he got into his driveway and it died. Hasn't started since. It turns over wonderfully but will not fire off. I checked the fuel pump wiring and it seems to check out ok (but you cannot hear it come on). When we turn it over several times I get fuel out of the rail bleed port, but not under pressure at all. We tried the passlock procedure a couple of times and got nothing that way. I did notice someone posted in a previous post that a fuse was blown for the theft system and they sounded like they had a similiar problem. I didn't check the fuel filter yet if perhaps that was clogged or if the plugs aren't firing off. Only had a short time to look at it the other day. I was thinking fuel pump, but there is fuel up to the rail, though not under any type of pressure. But does anyone have any other ideas on this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Will not start
Monday, September 03, 2007 7:29 AM
How old is the car? How many miles? Given the symptoms (came on quick, no codes) I'd guess it's the fuel pump.

Joel

2007 Cobalt LS 4dr, 2.2L, Auto, bone stock deluxe poor man's package.
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:31 PM
yeah first try to see if its a spark or fuel problem.take out a spark plug and see if it fires,,i know i sounds crazy but it wont kill ya or hurt ya i promise.if it fires u got a fuel problem and if it doesnt fire u got proberly a bad coil or broken timing belt or chain most likey bad coil.to tell if its a bad coil or timing belt or chain u can take off the distributor cap and see if the rotor spins if it spins the coils bad and if it doesnt the chain or belts broke.u can check the fuel pump too just disconnect the line after it and try starting the car to see if it pumps fuel out.
Friday, September 28, 2007 8:56 AM
i would not go that far as to say it was a engine prob...the fuel pumps go all the time in the 00-04 models...the impeller has a tendency to fall off.....im gonna guess its your fuel pump...and just to be sure its not passlock the way to reset it is...you leave the key on the on pos for 30 min....turn it off..then try to start it....have some one put there head down below the back bumper as you turn the key on..you should hear the F/P turn on...if not...go get a new one...

167,000 on an Ecotec since 02

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search