Oil Additives?? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Additives??
Tuesday, October 12, 2004 6:09 AM
I just bought a new 2005 Sunfire and I plan on doing my own oil changes.
In my other vehicles, I have always used an additive like STP. I notice in the owners manual that it says not to add an additives to the oil.

I'm wondering if any of you good people out there put an additive in your oil or do you just run 5W30 like it calls for?

Thanks......

Re: Oil Additives??
Tuesday, October 12, 2004 10:54 AM
Lionel Smith wrote:not to add an additives to the oil.

It's not needed
Wednesday, October 13, 2004 6:03 PM
Just use the 5W-30.
Sunday, October 31, 2004 5:34 PM
I would not reccommend any oil additives unless you are having engine problems.

Instead of spending money on the additives, just put it towards better oil (many would agree when I say Mobil 1 is the best). Mobil 1 will lubricate and protect better than any conventional oil mixed with an additive.

The only time you should really need and additive is if your Engine has a specific problem, and you add something like Engine Restore or Stop Leak. Many times they don't help all that much though, and just end up gumming up the engine.
Monday, January 24, 2005 2:39 AM
I've heard good reviews of "Lucas" oil stabilizer from mechanics and such, but i would never put any additive in a new motor.
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:34 PM
In my personal opinion, if your going to spend money on lubrication, use Mobil 1, Motul etc...
I have pulled a Z18XE apart at 76,000 after running Mobil 1, and it was clean... and that motor had a 'tough' life...
The stabilisers and other additives were a big hit back in the day when there were huge impurities and varying viscosities in mineral oil...i think the synthetics are really well designed now, so there is no need...

...the manual says not to use an additive, because some can increase/decrease viscosity and cause oil to do weird things at temperature extremes...
Friday, March 11, 2005 12:54 AM
its a waste of money and dont work like the other person said use mobil one
Monday, March 14, 2005 12:15 AM
Friday, July 15, 2005 9:03 AM
If your an additive addict, throw some duralube treatment in with your next Mobil-1 oil change, and consider the matter finished.

Or go trade it in for a mazda 3, LOL.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search