100,000 Mile Question - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
100,000 Mile Question
Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:52 AM
OK my Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 Eco has just turned 100,00 miles . I couldnt be happier cause she still runs like new. My question is im preparing to change the Timing chain. Do i need to change the Timing Chain, Balance Shaft Chain and water pump or what all do i really need to do. And if anyone knows a ball park figure of how much i should expect to pay let me know please. Thanks Alot Guys.

Re: 100,000 Mile Question
Friday, March 21, 2008 1:31 PM
you need the timing chain, balance shaft chain, all chain guides, chain tensioner and a new water pump im pretty sure they sell as a kit. are you doing this yourself or taking it somewhere?
Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:18 AM
I want to take it somewhere but I really want to avoid the Dealership all together.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:34 AM
Mark i've got almost 103,000 on my 04 Cavy, And i asked the same question you did or similar and was told to not even worry about it till at least 150,000 or so yet i know a guy posted on here his only made it to like 110,000 or so and his engine blew because the chain snapped. I'm in arizona and if i knew someone who knew how to do that kind of work i would have my car there in a minute. Like you i want to avoid the dealer on that one because for what they would want to charge i could replace the engine for the same price.
Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:04 AM
well ill tell ya like i told the other person who asked about, if you have some experience or maybe have changed a timing belt before you could do it. you will just have to have proper tools and be very careful and make sure all proper timing marks are aligned up. but chances are if you dont feel comfortable doing it, dont. I have done one on a engine stand and it was fairly simple as long as you follow step for step,. I still have to do mine on my car as I have 98.000 and I kind of dread the day just cause I heard it is supposively an 8 hour job soo that will be fun. I even called around just to see how much it would be and at the dealership, the guy told me 1500-2000 and i said @!#$ that
so in a couple months im gonna have to change mine, good luck guys hope you can find someplace to do it for a decent price
Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:54 PM
Gee Alex too bad you don't live in arizona or i'd gladly let u do mine
Monday, July 30, 2012 9:34 PM
Marc Jackson wrote:OK my Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 Eco has just turned 100,00 miles . I couldnt be happier cause she still runs like new. My question is im preparing to change the Timing chain: http://www.drivewire.com/part/engine-timing-belt-chain/timing-belt-tensioner/. Do i need to change the Timing Chain, Balance Shaft Chain and water pump or what all do i really need to do. And if anyone knows a ball park figure of how much i should expect to pay let me know please. Thanks Alot Guys.

Well just to be on the safe side, replace the timing chain. But I will go with Bill, try to avoid going to dealers if you can do it yourself. But if you have sufficient cash, then go for it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search