2.2 in Ion burning oil! - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 in Ion burning oil!
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:05 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, I own a 2003 Saturn Ion Q.C. lev.2 with the 2.2 ecotec. I figured I would post this here rather than the newbie section as I hoped to get more replies here.

I have owned the car since new, never going over 4k before an oil change. (all oil changes done by me with Fram filters and Castrol GTX dino oil) I now have 65k on it and about 80% of that is highway. I belong to a saturn forum but no one else seems to have any oil burning issues with their 2.2's. I was hoping that someone here mave any info. if there is anyone here that may be experiencing the same problem.

My last oil change, I switched to full synthetic oil, at about 2500 miles after my last oil change, I was close to a half quart low. I know this is not a lot, but it's so young and I really don't beat her up at all, the car has been great for the last 5 years, It just makes me cringe that my car is starting to burn some oil.

when the weather warms up a bit I am going to to a compression check and leak down check to see if I can pin point where the wear is.

Anyone else on here having similar issues???

Thanks in advance.

Re: 2.2 in Ion burning oil!
Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:27 PM
Don't know about the z22se engine in the U.S but over here they are renound for burning oil I've heard of guys burning a litre every 1,000miles they've had their engines checked and all seems to be fine...
Mine seems to be fine I'm the same as yourself I do an oil and filter change every 3k with Shell Helix Ultra F/Synth 10-40w depending on how I have been driving the oil seems to be in need off at least a top up but if I've been ragging it(going fast) the oil obviously burns a lot quicker... Hope this helps some mate!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search