Engine might be blown. - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine might be blown.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:21 AM
Ok I have a 2004 4 dr auto Cavalier 2.2 ecotec. I got like 77000 miles onit. I am not going to lie and I am WAY over due for an oil change. But I went to change the opil yesterday and the guy told me he couldnt do it because its sounds like I blew the motor. I can still drive it. It makes this hard core cranking noise. Some one else said a piston might be blown. I dont know if that means blown engine. But any ideas of what may have happened and what I should do? I did put this stuff in it the guy recomended. But my wife is due to have our daughter any day and I cant be with out a car. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Engine might be blown.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:13 PM
well did you ever change your oil? thats a start compression check, cylinder leakdown test, you would have to be a little more specific of the sound, what rpm it occurs. as for what could happen it could have been a number of things.
Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:39 AM
First and Foremost Always, Always, Always change your oil every 3,000 miles every 1500 every 2,000 whatever that is one of the most important things right there. As for the compression check etc might be worth it to do those things. Just Keep the oil changed and if nothing else that should increase the life of your engine a little.
Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:06 AM
Ok. Looks like bolt to drain oil was not properly put back so oil drained. Looks like I ran with out oil for a while. Ill just accept the blame for it. I know oil is the blood of the card basically and I did lag a lil longer than 3000 miles begfore I changed it. Ok and learned a lesson I already knew. But now, im being told engine is blown and I need a new engine. Found a guy who can get an engine with 40,000 to 50,000 and do all the work for $1600 to $1800. Does this sound about right? Would it be cheaper to replace engine or rebuild?
Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:53 PM
price sounds about right ballpark figure, with engine, parts plus labor. also it would be way cheaper to replace engine than to rebuild especially if you dont know that much about cars, and if your paying somebody to rebuild it will probably be more than 1800 cause they will prolly tack on 6-10 more hours for the rebuild. not including sending parts to a machine shop and waiting on them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search