car won't start - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car won't start
Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:04 PM
I have an 04 cavlier with 128k on it. This morning the car would not start, it turns over but nothing. I had my dad look at the motor when trying it and he believes the engine is turning over. He thinks it is the timing chain. I did some searching around and found some stuff about timing chain issues.

This just happened today so we have not yet begun to take the engine apart but does this sound like a timing chain issue? For the last few weeks I noticed that the car was idling rough but other than that the car ran fine. When I parked it last night it wasn't having any problems but it just wouldn't start today.

I was reading if the timing chain goes it causes other engine problems, too.

Thanks for any help!

Re: car won't start
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:40 AM
When u got home did u turn it off or did it kill itself. And when you are turning the key are u doing it with the spark plugs out to see if if really is turning over. It may sound like it is but to me sure take out the plugs and turn it over to see.And to check the timing chain it is as easy as taking off the valve cover to find out. If its not broke you are out a gasket. If it is broke well then u found your problem
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search