Ecotec TSB Question - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec TSB Question
Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:22 PM
I have an 02 Eco with almost 90,000 miles on it and it been making some noise on the timing chain thats gotten worse and I needed someone that either works at dealership or has access to TSB # tell me what this # means.

02-01-39-004 new PAG Oil released.

The reason I ask is because i've heard problems with the oil supplied to the timing chain in the first gen as it doesn't supply enough oil and there is suppose to be something to fix it. I found this comment on j-body.org and was curious to know if this is true and what is the part # i would be replacing to correct the problem.

"Some of the first gen ECOtecs in 02 to 04...The oiler that Sends oil to the chain had a bypass ball in it that..Somtimes had a problem Sticking closed..On all 05 and up ECOtecs the oiler has no bypass ball in it so it will not cause a problem..this is what I was told if anyone knows Different please correct me..From what i understand there was never a recall..But if you are in there doing work just go to GM and buy the new one..Thats what I did it was 50 Bucks..I think..hope this helps"

I very big things to whoever can help me out with this as I don't really want to replace the whole engine if the chain lets go.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"

Re: Ecotec TSB Question
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:04 PM
I work for gm and the tsb number 02-01-39-004 new PAG Oil released is for the ac system. They just changed the oil that they wanted you to put in the system when oil needed to be added.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search