timing chain noise - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
timing chain noise
Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:14 AM
i just picked up an 05 cavi with 71,000 miles with the eco in it. i notice an excessive amount of noise coming from the timing chain housing. so i plan on replacing the timing chain within the next couple weeks. this is my first ecotec so i have a few questions, should i replace all the timing gears? and do i need to replace both chains in the motor? thanks in advance

Re: timing chain noise
Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:55 AM
I wouldn't change any gears unless they look horrible. I would change the water pump while I was in there. I'd change both chains and all the guides. Might want to get new tensioners also
Thursday, April 02, 2009 2:56 PM
I thought the Ecotec only had one chain. Three sprockets and two quide.????
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:18 PM
Drop Top Rider wrote:i just picked up an 05 cavi with 71,000 miles with the eco in it. i notice an excessive amount of noise coming from the timing chain housing. so i plan on replacing the timing chain within the next couple weeks. this is my first ecotec so i have a few questions, should i replace all the timing gears? and do i need to replace both chains in the motor? thanks in advance

I have an 02 2.2L eco. Just reached 130,000 miles and the timing chain snapped. No warning, no nothing, just snapped! Been an excellent engine until this point and have owned it since new. I pulled it apart to replace the chain and also did a compression check after I found out that the 2.2 is an interference engine. Compression test showed 0 in all four cylinders which meant only one thing. I damaged my head. I removed my cyl. head and found that it had bent valves in every cylinder. I currently am waiting for a machine shop to rebuild it for me, but after the entire job is complete, I will have next to $1000 dollars in parts and the labor for the head. My suggestion..... Change it no later than 100K! It will be alot easier to change the timing chain and gears before it breaks and causes critical damage. As for changing the timing chain, I would venture to say that you would be just fine changing the guides, sprockets, chain and tentioner for the timing chain for the cams. As for the balancing chain, I would worry so much about that one. I believe the cam chain takes alot of the load, the balancing chain is there to balance and is not under as much stress! I believe it would have only cost me about $400 for complete timing chain set and gaskets if I would have changed it before it broke. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further details about the project. Good day!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:26 PM
Caleb Douglas wrote:I thought the Ecotec only had one chain. Three sprockets and two quide.????
If by sprockets you mean gears:

Two canshaft gears

two balance shaft gears

waterpump gear

crankshaft has two gears on it, one small and one big

2 seperate chains and many guides.

I have heard on hear and also http://www.j-body.org/ that you should change the chains at 100k miles because they stretch and get weak, thus breaking.
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:11 PM
the water pumps never leak.change the gears too cuz they do ware but u cant tell by the naked eye,replace the guides and tentioner as well.you dont need to replace the balance shaft /waterpump chain
Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:48 AM
i have a 03 ecotec keeps jumping on timing a few teeth. everything looks good changed out timing chain tensioner. chain looks good sprockets good. how can i tell if i need to change balance shaft chain or tensioner..I replaced the timing chain on this car 2 years ago..anyone with ideas wud be appreciated...
Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:13 AM
Triple, 71,000 seems a little early to me to be having to mess with the timing chain but maybe not.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search