Sunfire shutting off, HELP - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire shutting off, HELP
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:41 AM
I have a 2003 sunfire 5spd, when I press in the clutch to coast to a stop, the engine rpms drop to around 500, and sometimes it drops so low it shuts off. It doesn't happen everytime I drive, every second time I start the car and go for a drive or so. Also, it gets worse when there is a half-tank or less of gas in it, and this is when it actually shuts off. I am puzzled with this, but I personally think that it could be something wrong with the fuel filter? Any ideas would be appreciated, I have an appointment at the dealer for service next Wednesday but since their hourly rate for labour is $100, I would like to get some ideas that I can bring to a local garage and get it solved for less cash. (mechanic at local garage told me that the dealer has an analyzer, that should show exactly where the problem lies, and he doesn't have anything like that.) Thanks.

Re: Sunfire shutting off, HELP
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:43 AM
Forgot to add, sometimes when coasting like mentioned above, the rmps DON'T drop, and could stay around 1500 or 2000 rpm, so I don't know if this is related to them dropping.
Re: Sunfire shutting off, HELP
Monday, January 10, 2011 11:56 AM
I was just ahving the same problem. Autozone told em change spark plugs, that didnt work then they had me change the wireing and Ignition coil pack. that could fix it, but in my case took it to the dealer and i had a blown head gasket which was flooding the engine in oil and causing it to flood out and shut off
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search