Alternator wiring question in a 2003 chevy cavalier? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternator wiring question in a 2003 chevy cavalier?
Monday, June 25, 2007 8:13 PM
Alright well i updated the fuse to power, and the battery to ground and the engine to ground all with 4 gauge wire and of course the sound system in the back has the 0 gauge wiring on it. But i never updated the battery to alternator, well you guessed it, todays the day. When i was taking of the battery to alternator wire i notice that it does not go straight from battery to alternator. Mine goes from battery, to a small ?motor(connected to the engine)? then another wire branches off from it and goes to the alternator, there are many other wires as well, not just this one? Whats the purpose of this? Do i need to do this with the new wiring? What is the small ?motor? i'm refering to? Are all cars like this? It's not really the fact of having the relay in there, i dont mind doing that with the new wire.. not like its a big hasssle now or anything, but i'm actually very curious about this? My brother has a 00 civic ex and he updated his power to alt and it did not have this relay in there? Curiosity...

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!

Re: Alternator wiring question in a 2003 chevy cavalier?
Friday, July 06, 2007 7:56 PM
I'm gonna answer my own question. Its the starter which does need a power wire going to it.

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!
Re: Alternator wiring question in a 2003 chevy cavalier?
Friday, March 30, 2012 9:36 PM
I assume you could also just hook the #2 wire on the alternator directly to the battery post on the alternator? Yeah, I'm that stupid about wiring but had to ask. Thanks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search