2004 Cavalier - Idle problem - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Cavalier - Idle problem
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:15 PM
Well it's sort of an idle issue. It's more a less when coasting in nutural to a stop sign. I find that the RPM tach drops to .400 rpm and pops back up over 1000 and then down to the proper idle once stopped all during a coast to the stop sign. It's like it cannot regulate the air/fuel mixture or something.

I've done some researching through google, and I have found others with the same problem. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find what and how to fix this issue.

Does anybody know?

niter3

Re: 2004 Cavalier - Idle problem
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:58 PM
Mine does that too sometimes. Since the ECU controls the idle speed, I think it's pretty much normal considering all this happens in about three seconds on mine.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:49 AM
Do you have a manual or automatic?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:22 PM
Manual.

It seems to be getting worse now. When driving for a good 20 minutes, I am finding that my RPM gauge likes to stick at 2000-3000 RPMs after letting my foot off the gas and putting the car in nutreal.

I'm clueless.

Things I've done:

Cleaned the IAC valve and bore.
Cleaned the Throttle Body

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:21 AM
I've got the same problem on my '04, usually happens after about half an hour or so. Alot of times, mine doesn't even like to go back to idle, it sits down to about 1500. The only thing I can come up with is maybe a vacuum leak somewhere, but I can't find one on mine anywhere. How many miles you got? I'm at 80k, started around 75k on mine.

"it's only a cavalier, right?...I mean it's not fast or anything, is it?" -famous last words-
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:01 PM
There is a PCM reflash for the eco's that is related to poor idling conditions. I believe it is actually a recall. Look into it. Had the same problem forever until the reflash was made as a recall.
Monday, September 03, 2007 5:52 AM
yeah all these idle problems u have u might want to get it checked out cuz im sure ur gettin crappy gas milege cuz of it....it might be a blown head gasket or cracked head or maybe just a sensor...try to do a compression test i think they have the tester at auto zone...its not hard to do just put it in the same hole the spark plug comes out of and crank the engine till the gauge doesnt go up anymore and write down what u got....its cool to do also cuz ull know what shape ur engine is in tooo....
Friday, September 28, 2007 9:05 AM
do you have an intake on your car? sounds like the hood may be pushing down on the T/B...but that doesn't explain the drop below target idle...the ecm works off your coolent temp there are diff settings for diff temperatures....make sure your sensors are working...

167,000 on an Ecotec since 02

Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:10 PM
I have same problem on 04 sunfire 56k after warm at idle drops to 400 then up 2000 then down a few times then is ok for awhile,have changed MAP SENSOR and the 02 sensor and cleaned throttle body not much help. has anyone solved this yet i know its an old post
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:07 PM
there is a reprogram recall for this problem
Sunday, May 09, 2010 11:18 AM
so what do you do with that ? should you go dealer or what?

Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:28 PM
Follow up on my problem ,I ended up replacing spark plugs with OEM even though i had only 50k miles on them and that solved my problem
Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:18 PM
Hey guys I know it's old but my 03 sunfire 5spd manual does not want to idle when coasting with the clutch in or in neutral, and sometimes doesn't want to idle back down either. Worst thing is when it idles so low that the engine shuts off while coasting or shifting if you let the rpms drop. Should replacing the spark plugs be the fix? Thanks
Monday, February 03, 2014 3:12 PM
Pretty much have had same issue. Usually only happens when heat is on or drawing a lot of juice with a/c compressor etc. Has started happening more often today car wouldn't start so I am starting to mess with a lot of things. Interested in this "reflash" but doubt they will still do it for free... hopefully i'm wrong. almost seems like it would have to be IAC or IAT or something of the likes. I seem to have other issues as well. I am going to clean my grounds and battery cables. Most likely clean IAT, IAC and go from there....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search