Timing Chain - Page 2 - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Timing Chain
Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:37 PM
Adam, you say you've heard of saturn ions going 345,000 miles without the chain snapping. That's just a theoretic estimation if you will, right not a guarantee that every chain is going to last that long, like say for example just being theoretic for a second is it possible for an ecotec powered cavaliers chain to last between 3 and 400,000 miles. I have a 04 eco cavalier has 121,000 on it, the chain could snap at 122 right , or is it guaranteed to last at least to 350,000 is my question.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:08 PM
Some peoples chains might, but I bet they will stretch. Its just like any other car part, some last some don't.
Saturday, March 21, 2009 9:32 PM
Mr. Choo, i know they stretch at 100,000 which is what got me to thinking about it in the first place. Especially when i saw adams post about having heard of some chains lasting almost 350,000 miles.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:30 PM
Hey guys,

Got wind of this problem this evening on my Grand Am Forum, a guy Just had 130K KM's and his chain went to peices. I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, with the Ecotec. It's a Canadian car (Not sure if that matters) and currently has 62K KM's

Are there any steps that I can take to make sure this does not happen? Or should I just change it at 100K KM's like some have said previously in this thread?

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:03 PM
alright lets get something straight first of all the the timming chain has 3 links painted on it thoes are the timming marks.you can replace the balance shaft chain but that never ever breaks.the timming chains that are prone to break are the 2000 model year and some early 2001, thoes are most common.it doesnt cost 2grand unless it already broke and the valves bent.this is prolly the worlds easyest timming chain to do, i can do them in under 2 hours while drinking a pot of coffee.the reason im telling you this is because i am a tech for saturn and i do about 2 of these a week.you really just need basic tools to do this and most people that have done a timming belt or something like that befor can do this.any questions just ask
Monday, November 23, 2009 6:28 AM
they say the chains need constant lubrication, so keeping up on oil changes etc is definitely in your favor in regards to how long the chain will last right.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:59 AM
It's $513 for a timing chain kit locally, anybody know where I can get a kit cheaper on-line?
Monday, December 21, 2009 1:07 AM
I would do it ASAP 100,000 is allot for any bely or chain!

Michael Burns
Planet Green Automotive
Monday, December 21, 2009 1:10 AM
300,000 miles it has play in it for sure! If he takes it off it will be very flexible in all directions. NOT GOOD. Side track on the sprockets from time to time = catostofic failure. Metal in oil after time etc.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:21 AM
I think you guys have been a little misinformed. If your car has a rubber timing belt it needs to be changed every 100k. But these gm 4 cylinders have the chains like everyone says, but you do not need to change the chain every 100k. Thats the reason they have tensioners. You replace a chain when it starts making noise, there is no change interval. they are made that way so you dont have to change them all the time like you do with belts. If your chain is not making a pronounced noise then you do not need to change it.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:18 AM
I posted the complete GM repair sheets for installing timing on an ecotec on this site.

http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=1584&t=1584

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:01 AM
will the part that pushes against the chain need replacing from wear Ed

Ed
Agua Dulce, So.California
1950 F1 street rod
1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.
1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame
1970 Baha Bug (going for some major suspension changes)
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp.
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Monday, June 20, 2011 12:38 PM
i would definately replace the timing chain tensioner as soon as you can. Replace the belt, tensioner and maybe even consider new sprokets and gears. I say this because not 3 days ago the timing chain tensioner on my 03 pontiac sunfire all but fell to pieces and ruined the engine. As far as i can tell the only year this motor saw this problem was 2002-2004. Now im looking at a $1000 engine replacement versus a $20-$30 replacement part.
Monday, June 20, 2011 1:02 PM
mike feeney wrote:alright lets get something straight first of all the the timming chain has 3 links painted on it thoes are the timming marks.you can replace the balance shaft chain but that never ever breaks.the timming chains that are prone to break are the 2000 model year and some early 2001, thoes are most common.it doesnt cost 2grand unless it already broke and the valves bent.this is prolly the worlds easyest timming chain to do, i can do them in under 2 hours while drinking a pot of coffee.the reason im telling you this is because i am a tech for saturn and i do about 2 of these a week.you really just need basic tools to do this and most people that have done a timming belt or something like that befor can do this.any questions just ask

if the timing chain has broken off and the valves are bent, is there a possibility the block can still be salvaged and all that has to be done is replacing the valves? When it blew, it blew the oil filter cap completely off and it spewed oil like a guyser. I had initially assumed that it was just a build up in pressure due to the spring loaded relase valve in the filter cap. Well, when i filled it back up with oil and tried to crank it again it poured out about a quart a second. Obviously i didnt try and crank it again but i was wondering if you had ever seen or heard of anything like this before. There were no lights on the dash or any other kind or warning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Friday, September 09, 2011 7:04 PM
hi all i have a 2004 caveliar for the past 3 and a half years it has 233.000 km on it tonight went to store came home shut it off went back out about 2 hours later and the darn thing would not start everything works there is no compression but plugs are dry does that mean the timming chain broke or jumped of the sprocket
Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:17 PM
Hello I ran into a problem i was wondering if you can help me out
While replacing water pump on my 2004 cavalier with 2.2 ecto engine
I tuned the gear that's part of the balancing shaft by accident next to the water pump is there a position that this gear is supposed to be in ? Thanks
Monday, October 15, 2012 9:16 AM
Hello I ran into a problem i was wondering if you can help me out
While replacing water pump on my 2004 cavalier with 2.2 ecotec engine
I tuned the gear that's part of the balancing shaft by accident next to the water pump is there a position that this gear is supposed to be in ?I found link http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=1584&t=1584 it shows in photo at bottom of page one on left in 11 oclock position and one on the right 1 oclock position
Would this be the correct positions
Monday, October 15, 2012 6:54 PM
Ok thanks for the help
Well anyways since i only turned the one i carefully looked over the other it isn't anything like the photo at all instead i found that the GM stamp on the gear in that position shown in photo
So i figured to go with that putting the other gear in the 11 o'clock position with the GM stamp
Leaving the arrows in the 9 o'clock near the water pump and other in the 11 o'clock position
it runs like it did before smooth and quiet
Monday, October 15, 2012 7:01 PM
Also they must make a gm tool to do the job in the the front of the timing chain cover there is an inspection cover 4 bolts where water pump is pull screws look in you can unbolt and using a proper tool remove pulley .
Wednesday, December 18, 2019 12:17 AM
My 2007 Saturn Ion with 5-spd and the 2.2 Ecotec has 391,xxx miles with no engine issues yet. Original timing chain and water pump still and just regular oil changes & routine maintenance. It's my commuter car which has seen 95% highway driving during it's life span.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search