What oil do you use? - Page 2 - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What oil do you use?
Thursday, January 27, 2005 1:46 PM
Just to clear up some misconceptions: You don't need to do anything to put synthetic in. you drain out the old and put in the new. You don't need to flush out the system.

Thursday, January 27, 2005 3:25 PM
it takes a couple oil change for the synthec to clear out the old 1 though. <br>

-------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:25 PM
A question about "break-in".

I bought my car in May of last year, changed the oil when it hit 5000K, whatever GM put in there. Then I stored it in October when it had about 8500K on it.

I realize that I should change the oil once I get it out of storage, but would I have done anything to impair the break-in period of the car?

When would the engine be fully broken in that I would be able to make the switch to synthetic?

<br>

Monday, February 14, 2005 2:55 AM
Changed the oil when I got it home to M1 5W30. Went 5K miles, changed it again to 10W30 for the summer, and then went back to 5W30 for the winter. I need to change it soon, it has 7K miles on it so it needs to be done. I will put 5W30 back in it again.

Runs perfect and has 38K+ on it now.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:58 PM
In November of last year when I first replied to this post, I was using Petro Canada 5W30 syn blend. I am now using 5W30 Quaker State dino oil and when it is available in this area, I plan to switch to a syn blend in Quaker State's new Q line. See http://www.qpower.com
Friday, June 03, 2005 2:27 PM
Call me crazy, but I use Valvoline Syn Power 10w30.
Friday, July 15, 2005 7:26 AM
Influx wrote:A question about "break-in".

I bought my car in May of last year, changed the oil when it hit 5000K, whatever GM put in there. Then I stored it in October when it had about 8500K on it.

I realize that I should change the oil once I get it out of storage, but would I have done anything to impair the break-in period of the car?

When would the engine be fully broken in that I would be able to make the switch to synthetic?

Are ecotec engines ever really broken in? Was anyone who changed the oil on these things every 3000 miles ever in need of a rebuild? Have these engines ever failed do to factors other than customer neglect?

THESE ARE ANSWERS I NEED TO KNOW???

----------------------

Uh, if you don't use Mobil-1; then your engine will be broken in at about 25k mi. to 35k mi.

If you use ams or purple, you might void your warranty if you "spin" a main bearing (or whatever this "I heard this mechanic say" phenomena I see posted all over this website is called).

If you use Mobil-1 5w30 from your first oil change; your engine will be broken in at about 47k mi. to 88k mi. depending on your driving habbits.

IBID: I am beginning to realize the power of the written word (true or false).
ROFLMAO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search