just changed oil, have some questions - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
just changed oil, have some questions
Saturday, August 06, 2005 11:39 AM
car is a 2002 cavalier 2.2 ecotec

i made sure i drained the oil completely. i filled with exactly 5 quarts of 5w30. the car was facing at a slight downward angle but was on ramps. so overall, the car was tipped slightly up. so the local dealership told me that the car takes anywhere from 4.5 to 5 quarts and the manual says 5 quarts. however, when i check the oil level, it looks overfilled. to tell you the truth, i cant even see how over it is. this dipstick has to be the hardest dipstick to read ive ever seen. so my questions are, do you think it is in fact overfilled or its just a pain in the ass to read. or if it is overfilled, will it cause any damage to the motor. i called the dealership back and explained the situation and he said that its probably not overfilled and the worse that will happen is a little oil might leak from the dipstick tube. what do you guys think?

Re: just changed oil, have some questions
Saturday, August 06, 2005 1:23 PM
My father operated a service station for 35 years and I changed the oil on a lot of vehicles working there as a teen after school and during non-school days. I agree, it's the worst dipstick I have ever seen!

I have a 2004 Cavalier with 2.2 ecotec and my owner's manual says the capacity is 3.8 liters (Approx 4 US quarts). However, I found that it is definitely not full with 3.8 liters so I contacted General Motors and they advised that the proper refill amount is 4.8 liters or 5 US quarts. (I have never before seen an oil capacity error on an owners manual.)

With the recommended amount the oil is up over the full mark. However, I remember checking the oil when the car was new and the factory fill was the about the same level on the dipstick as it is after I drain and install 4.8 liters.
Monday, August 08, 2005 5:51 AM
If you tried to read the gauge right after without driving.. Some oil stays up on the internal components and does sit on the bottom. Which might make it read that it has more oil. Not to mention some staying in the housing for the oil filter.

GM service manuls states it takes 5 (4.8) quarts of engine oil.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:16 PM
did you start the car after ading oil. also it takes 5 bottled quarts of oil

Friday, August 12, 2005 1:58 PM
The dip stick should reads slightly over the full notch after the car has been sitting for a while, our cars with the canister filters drain back to the pan near immediately. A tiny bit over, is totally normal, and its really not over at all. As long as your oil reading on the stick does not go over into the wire, and stays on the actually aluminum tip reader, you are fine. The capacity is a full 5 quarts. Not 4.5, not 4.9, but 5 full quarts.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search