Weapon R intake/Magnaflow exhaust = fuel economy? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weapon R intake/Magnaflow exhaust = fuel economy?
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:24 PM
this one should be a simple question for someone who knows,
i am wondering if the weapon R intake and magnaflow cat back exhaust will increase my fuel economy.
the one i am not sure of is the intake, i dont know a lot about weapon R products.

also if someone can recommend a good header and intake manifold that would do the same, would be appreciated.
My car is a 2005 chevy cobalt

Re: Weapon R intake/Magnaflow exhaust = fuel economy?
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:57 AM
hey CK well anytime you "get more HP" you increase fuel mileage,as long as you stay out of the throttle,less work on the motor more efficient

if at first you don't succeed,you should probably give up
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:59 AM
k thanks.

my question isnt really surrounding the issue of whether putting an intake on, but rather specifically putting the weapon R intake and the magnaflow exhaust for the cobalt. also the venom intake manifold for the ecotec.

i am just worried that these parts are a waste of money and am wondering how well they are actually going to work.

have you heard anything about these by chance?
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:50 PM
I get 31 mpg on the 04 with aem intake and catback exhaust.
I get 29ish in the stock 05'

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:26 PM
ok thats what i was hoping to hear....
would you recommend AEM cai over weapon r?
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:02 AM
Cai vs. Short ram. Won't notice much of a difference between the two.
First I purchased a weapon r intake. I didn't come with the right couplers to install. So I put it aside for the night. Then I found on here that aem needed a car to redisign the eco cai. So I jumped on that and got an aem the next day. It is a complete bolt on intake. the weapon r you have to bend a bracket to hold up the filter. and the filter looks kinda stupid.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 8:14 AM
I bought a Weapon R, and when I got it, the kit and instructions were for a Prelude. I tried the install anyway (maybe they knew what they were doing). Didn't work, so I said what the hell, sent it back, and bought an AEM. I get 34 mpg with my setup.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 3:08 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:Didn't work, so I said what the hell, sent it back, and bought an AEM. I get 34 mpg with my setup.

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in what your set up is.

I have a 02 Grand Am,5 speed, K&N filter and SLP exhaust. I averaged 31 MPG after 67 fill ups(685 gallons) in 2005. I drive mostly expressway and country roads, 80 miles each workday.

You said you had the AEM intake. What else and what kind of driving?
Sunday, January 08, 2006 5:41 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:I bought a Weapon R, and when I got it, the kit and instructions were for a Prelude. I tried the install anyway (maybe they knew what they were doing). Didn't work, so I said what the hell, sent it back, and bought an AEM. I get 34 mpg with my setup.

I drive a 2004 Cavalier 5spd. The car is as it was when I bought it with the exception of a K&N air filter. On my trip from Bradenton, FL to my new home in Kittrell, NC, I averaged between 34.7 and 35.5 mpg. My average speed was between 80 and 95 the whole trip.

In all truth, I thought about buying one of the Weapon R intakes, but the filter is just plain too goofy looking in my opinion. If I'm going to spend $130-135 on something it better be something I like...and hopefully works for the better of my mileage. With the exception of the first couple tankfuls of course ^_~
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:12 AM
well, word of advice to any cavalier owners reading this and thinking about getting a weapon r intake....DONT....

first, the airfilter is foam...you can see through the large holes in it...most are 2-5 mm in size...it will let more than just dust and dirt in...its not good...

next, they made the elbow that bolts to the intake manifold too tall, you have to cut it an inch i found out, or when you shift, it will do what it did to mine...put a freaking dimple in your new hood...i had 300 mile on my car and a 1" diamiter 1/2" tall dimple on my spotless car...it sticks out like a sore thumb.

so, a big FU out to weapon R, i have bought their products before and they have been good, but, well, this time they cut some serious corners....stay far far away.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:51 AM
Hence why it seems to be about $35-45 less than everyone else's intakes hmm?

Figures. Guess I'll stick with stock. It's cheaper and I don't have to worry about people making a fuss at all at the dealership or come inspection time.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:49 AM
I have the wapon r and magnaflow. I too noticed it is too high so I cut the coupler down so it would sit flush on the throttlebody. As far as the filter goes it made me nervous so I put a k&n filter on. I get over 40 mpg on the highway and about 25-30 city. If you keep your foot out of it you could get more I assume. I was really surprised to get over 40 on the highway. I took the car from PA to MI and back and I drove over 400 miles on a tank.
Also I forgot one other thing about the weapon r the sensor did not fit well into the intake tubing.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:32 AM
LT1XLR8 wrote:I have the wapon r and magnaflow. I too noticed it is too high so I cut the coupler down so it would sit flush on the throttlebody. As far as the filter goes it made me nervous so I put a k&n filter on. I get over 40 mpg on the highway and about 25-30 city. If you keep your foot out of it you could get more I assume. I was really surprised to get over 40 on the highway. I took the car from PA to MI and back and I drove over 400 miles on a tank.
Also I forgot one other thing about the weapon r the sensor did not fit well into the intake tubing.

I just ordered a Cosmo short ram intake, I'm hoping to get an upping in my economy after the first few weeks ^_~ [gotta have time to play!] The Cosmo intake is about $97 shipped....lets hope that cheaper is better in this case....but I'm still not willing to hold my breath.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search