Is changing Oil Type a bad thing? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is changing Oil Type a bad thing?
Monday, February 06, 2006 7:13 PM
Hello,

I own a 2002 Opel Astra Coupe (with the 2.2L Ecotec engine). I just bought it used with 20,000 kilometers (12,000 miles). The original owner used the Shell Helix Plus Semi-Synthetic oil.

I just changed the oil and used the same one, type 15W-40 (as a friend recommended). BUT From what I've read in these forums, the 15W-40 oil may be too heavy for this engine. Is it ok to change it to 10W-30 in the next oil change? what about changing Brands? Is Shell Helix Plus ok for this engine?

BTW, I live in Venezuela, where it's summer all the time (around 20-32 °C all year round).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Is changing Oil Type a bad thing?
Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:47 PM
15w40? DAMN!!

whats the oil cap say? 5w30?

Use what your manual tells you untill you've got very high mileage or start to develop a oil leak, then you can switch to a thicker weight of oil.

and switching brands wont hurt your engine. most oil come from the same base stock, then the different oil companies add their own additives

We Rock Bone Stock... For Now
Re: Is changing Oil Type a bad thing?
Friday, July 14, 2006 12:38 PM
Well, to answer your question. If its GF-4 oil (which all motor oil on the market is) You can go from Synthetic, to High Mileage, to Conventional, to Semi Synthetic, and back again. They are ALL compatible with each other. Same with brands, your fine. I prefer Mobil, but Pennzoil, Shell, they're all just as good.

Secondly. 15W40???? Thats diesel oil dude! Drain that @!#$ out and put in 5W30 Synthetic and you wont regret it. 10W30 if it gets really hot where you live. I wouldn't go past summer weight 30 unless you rack up over 100,000 miles.

God made turbo lag so V8's can catch up!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search