DRL - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DRL
Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:31 PM
i have 04 cav
i see all post about cutting wires to shut off drl's.
but i just took out the big black fuse that seems to run them.
i know it makes my service soon light come on .
so i cover it with a pic or what ever.
i put it back in for any service i have light goes off.
seems to run fine other wise
Question
am i doing any harm to anything in my car?

Re: DRL
Monday, March 27, 2006 2:37 PM
no your not doing any damage to the vehicle, as a suggestion, in addition to the fuse box cover you should cover up where the fuses were with electrical tape to prevent dirt and debris from getting in there, not likely, but why take a chance
Monday, March 27, 2006 9:44 PM
http://lightsout.org/disable.html#GMgen

Scroll down to 2000 Cavalier, it will work. Trust me.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:16 PM
DRLs are there for a reason why cut wires........SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!
Friday, November 03, 2006 12:03 AM
NHTSA Report--DRL's are Ineffective

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2000/DRL7_RPT.pdf

What’s bad about DRLs?
1. You lose critical traffic signaling methods. Flashing your headlights is
a) the accepted signal to a trucker that it is safe to change lanes
b) a signal to alert drivers that have forgotten to turn on their headlights
c) a signal at a 4-way stop or in a parking lot to let the other driver go first
d) a signal to other vehicles that you are traveling with that you need to stop.

2.You can't turn off your lights when
a) they are glaring into another vehicle
b) they are shining into a house at the end of a cul-de-sac or tee intersection
c) they are shining at a pedestrian.
d) You are sitting with the engine running on the side of the road, in someone's driveway, etc.
e) you want to be able to see outside your side windows.

3. There are places where you need to drive with only your parking lights, i.e. drive-in movie parking lots, astronomical gatherings, military bases, etc.

4. Drivers with DRLs often forget to turn on their low beam headlights in rain or fog and at dusk or dawn. This is especially dangerous because the taillights do not come on until the low beams are turned on. Many drivers believe that in rain or fog the DRLs are sufficient and fail to turn on their low beams to activate their tail lights. When it is dark, the lack of dashboard lights is an indicator that the low beams and tail lights are not on, but in daytime conditions where the low beams should be used there is no indication that the DRLs, not the lowbeams, are on.

5. They make your bulbs wear out a little faster; not a big deal if they really provided a safety advantage.

6. They decrease your gas mileage slightly. See: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cd9402.pdf. The decrease in mileage due to the increased load on the alternator is very small, but it is still measurable. One one of the biggest proponents of DRLs, GM, asked for and received permission to disconnect DRLs when doing tests for their fuel economy ratings.

7. They annoy other drivers. This is a biggie. “In 1998, after receiving hundreds of complaints, NHTSA acknowledged that the intensity limits were too high and proposed reductions in DRL intensity. NHTSA cited a study by Kirkpatrick, et. al. (1989), that said that at 2000cd, the glare from DRLs was rated at no worse than "just unacceptable" in 80% of the responses. At 4000cd, the glare was rated no worse than "disturbing" in 80% of the responses. These subjective ratings are based on the DeBoer scale. Corresponding to these ratings, they found that at 4000cd the probability that the rearview mirror would be dimmed was about 70%. At 2000cd the dimming probability was 40%. At 1000cd, the dimming probability dropped to 10%.” The NHTSA has now proposed that the European standard for DRL brightness be adopted. Expect the automakers to oppose this since it would add cost to do DRLs properly.

8. The people in favor of DRLs are so dimwitted and have such weak positions that DRLs must really be bad. Yeah, no one should be against something just because some really stupid people are in favor of it, but doesn't it make you uneasy to support something when someone else is supporting the same thing based on inaccurate and misleading "data?" In California, the way the majority of voters determine how to vote on ballot measures is by looking at the groups and people that support and/or oppose the measure, because it's very difficult for a layman to figure out what the ballot measure really means when each side is claiming that it will be better for the children if it passes or fails.

Friday, November 03, 2006 5:21 PM
deal with it
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 2:48 PM
dont get your ass hurt because he pointed out facts.

Now back to the originally scheduled posting...
if you can deal with the light than do it that way but after a while it gets annoying ..Its not all that hard to do.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search