Waranty Question - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Waranty Question
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:03 PM
Wandering if a Cold air intake, header, and intake will void factory warranty.

Re: Waranty Question
Saturday, August 13, 2005 6:51 AM
Technically.. no. But a dealership service dept might try to say that it will and refuse warranteed service to your car.

If the problem you have is a direct result of the mods then, yes it does void the warranty.

Example:
Install a header and the 1 pos O2 sensor code goes off. The dealership will not warrany it.

If you install a Intake and the AIT sensor code goes off. The dealership wont warranty it.

Say you install an intake and your transmission goes, then they should still cover it under warrany.
Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:33 AM
Xian G wrote:Say you install an intake and your transmission goes, then they should still cover it under warrany.

I have actually seen this in another forum posted as a federal law...unles the problem is caused directly by the modification then dealer must cover it under warranty. they also have to prove without a doubt it WAS the mod that caused the failure.

"Bring truth to your mouth from your soul when you speak" - KMK
Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:35 AM
Also I would recomend talking to your dealer service dept about the mods you plan to make. Also if you can try to get the service manager to sign off on the mods before you make them. My dealer is ok with me putting a CAI and exhaust on my car (they'll even sell me the CAI).

GM Performance parts makes one that is basically a rebranded K&N intake. From my experience working in GM dealers if GM makes a performance part for your car and the price and performance is in the range your looking at get the GM part and get it from the dealer you get your warranty work from. Normally they give you less hassle with performance parts that say GM on them.
Monday, October 10, 2005 10:28 AM
Fast05 whats the part number on that intake? where did you buy it from? Is that CAI backed by gm?
Sunday, November 27, 2005 5:30 PM
Check out Granatelli Motorsports. They have the lowdown on the Magnuson Moss Act in regards to how it applies to aftermarket modifications on cars.
US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. If you don't want to install the parts yourself and a shop refuses to do so because they use the excuse that the modifications will void your warranty then they aren't a shop you should be dealing with in the first place.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search