04 Cav. vs. 05 Tiburon GT - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Cav. vs. 05 Tiburon GT
Monday, October 10, 2005 10:48 PM
This guy in a new Tiburon GT is always talking smack and wants to go down to our track so we can run em. My car has an AEM cai and Greddy exhuast. My best time was a 15.6 and that was my first time at the track so I was just getting used to it so im pretty sure I can put down better times. I dont know to much about the new Tiburon so I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice and let me know if I'de have a chance. His car is completely stock. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: 04 Cav. vs. 05 Tiburon GT
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 7:28 PM
I think you have a good chance. Here's my stand. Amongst other things, i have an 88 200sx. I have run a tiburon GT before. It was close, until about 85, and i started pulling pretty steadily.

So what's this have to do with your situation? I have run an 03 Cavi w/ eco 5spd. It kept up darn good!! I wanted to keep going, but the Cavi had to stop at 108. (my 200sx doesnt cut out.) I don't see you having any problems.

Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7-liter DOHC 24-valve V-6, 172 hp, 181 lb-ft
FWD
Trans: 5-sp man
Curb Weight: 2969 lbs.

Chevrolet Cavalier
Engine: 2.2-liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4, 140 hp, 150 lb-ft
Tranny: 5-sp man
FWD
Curb Weight: 2750 lbs.

And, for your curiousity....

1988 Nissan 200sx
Engine: 3.0-Liter SOHC 12-valve V-6, est. HP 170, 180 lb-ft
Trans: 5spd man.
RWD
Curb weight: ~2800 lbs.

I guess its all about gearing. I know my 200sx has a 3.90 Rear end. I hope this helps you out.
Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:59 AM
i keep seeing the magic number of 15.6s @ 88 mph popping up for the v6 tiburon.

I also know that most bolt on mods for our engine add a substantial amount of torque, that could be why your time is faster than this one. a stock cavy is supposed to be around 16.1s at the quarter mile...dunno how accurate that number really is though.

I personally think you have a chance
Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:16 AM
now my friend has a 2004 tiburon gt with a 6 speed and the only thing he has done to it is a cai and he ran a 14.7 so it will be hard for a j-body to keep up with a tiburon if the driver of the tibby is good.

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:43 PM
I beat a guy who claimed he was fast , he was also talking smack . The guy had an exhaust and said he had lots of other stuff .He claimed it is a GT (Tiburon) . All I have is a custom WAI and 2 12' subs' in box and spare but i still took him with like a car and half.........he turned away and left.......i haven't seen him since........guess he burned his car......lol
Monday, October 24, 2005 4:10 PM
I don't think you could, if you add headers, you could take him without a problem. I've had a million 1/8 mile runs with those cars last year, and in the 1/8 a cavalier modified with the same mods as a tiburon gt, with a little bit of weight reduction can beat the tiburon every time:-)
Monday, October 24, 2005 8:29 PM
its all about the driver and maybe a few mods haha. Who cares if you beat him or not take him to show that you'll try anyway. Racing is always good fun as long as its on the "track". Haha ok maybe a few abandon road races. Good Luck

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:10 AM
my cavalier times is 14:00
and do not have a limit
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:12 AM
my cavalier times is 14:00
and do not have a limit
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:18 AM
Hey,
TIBURON GT'S can look real tight when hooked up. I've never lost to a TIBURON GT, even if I see some mods on it. What scares me more is racing a modded GS-R or RSX-S. I've raced 3 NISSAN SE-R V-SPEC's. One guy in particular, he and I raced from 70mph and when we got to 108 I was 2 car lengths in front! (Of course he left me after that!) When we pulled up and talked, he had all my same mods, but his car comes with 35 more HP and torque. I didn't quite have an explanation when he said how is your car that fast! You just never know. I've lost to some GS-R's and I've won some with an RSX-S. As far as the TIBURON goes, if he's stock and you have an intake and exhaust, I think you still have a shot!
My friend had a 2001 GRAND PRIX GT... 200 HP V6 automatic(stock). He had exhaust and intake. He would pull on me pretty good with my stock cavi back then. ONce I got an exhaust and intake, I would always pull on him no matter what speed.
Go show the TIBURON what's up lol

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Saturday, May 13, 2006 3:33 AM
wow! me honestly im still a beginner in da race culture...i got my 04 cavalier without wanting to race, but unfortunately i raced n won my first race....my cavy ran lo 14s on da 1/4 @ 99mph...but da whole tiburon thing, dats da v6 one right? well it doesnt matter how many cylinders r in da car, it can depend on da driver too (i raced a v8 and lost but did an impressive run for a 4cyl against a v8)...but da long run? da unfortunates a cavalier ....anyways i think its close.....u keep it on da 1/4mile? then yeh...but da long run, unless theres no way he can catch up if ur in front then its done....but v6s? i hav taken them of da line before jus watch out for their power....dam modifed honda vtec engines....grrrr!!

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:46 AM
I have a stock 2005 cavalier LS sport 5spd, and i raced a guy with a stock 2003 Tiburon GT v6 6spd, and beat him. i have a full system in the trunk too. (+100pds). But unfortunately it had mostly to due with driver skill, he came off the line with a little too much throttle and was at a stand still while i pulled ahead. And after that point he couldnt catch up.

My suggestions are:
1. To make sure you do not cherp your tires threw 1st or 2nd; no slipage at all!
2. Its pretty much a given... but... take it easy in 1st, almost hit redline in 2nd, hit redline in 3rd... and so on.
Friday, September 08, 2006 9:27 AM
Hmmm. i just seen Jesse say about modified Vtec enigines... I have alot of friends with Vtec civic's/integr'a n i remember one that had Headers,intake, straight back cat-back exhaust, cam gears, short shifter and we took off the same but i pulled on him in 3'rd? only cars i lost to was the hatchback civic's, mustang GT n a VW Jetta VR6 other then that i never lost.. n im all stock.. why is that??

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search