04 cav Vs. 05 sunfire - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 cav Vs. 05 sunfire
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:43 PM
I have a 04 cav with an auto trans, high flow air filter, and APC muffler. Brother has a 05 sunfire auto trans bone stock who would win at the drag strip?

Re: 04 cav Vs. 05 sunfire
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 2:24 PM
bout the same, you might pull a little ahead, take it to the track and find out.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 3:38 PM
i put this one to the test already.. i have a 2.2L ecotech w/ cold air aem intake magnaflow uni muffler and i took on my cuz who owns a 05 sunfire. i took him by a bummper on 2 runs and he took me by the same on the last one, sleep'n behinde the wheel that last time. also took a kid on in a staurn ion 5sp w/ the2.2 and hung door to door w/ him the whole way. his was bone stock too,but an all plastic car is light weight.l

hope that helps
Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:55 AM
dude there the same car. Yea you might have like 5 extra HP because of the muffler and filter. That race all and only depends on the driver

Monday, September 05, 2005 12:43 PM
i know that they are for the most part the same car, but the aem intake was dyno proven at 8.9 hp gain and the muffler would unlock 5 hp. i have a slight gain, but since the auto has a long 3rd gear, the race'n is close.
Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:57 AM
I'm with casper
the cars are basically the same. Even with you minor mods.
Its all about the driver.
At least as far as who hits the pedal first since they are
automatics.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 8:51 AM
i agree also... same car, same auto trany. No need to even race them. Automatics take any fun out of driving.
Monday, October 10, 2005 5:35 PM
SO you think your muffler unlocked 5 hp haha.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:23 PM
Automatics take the fun out of driving???? What are all the biggest drag cars??? Automatics- Nobody stays manual with that much horse either- Also sticks are fun if you have another car! Me I had the Cavalier and a Talon TSI Turbo and I rather drive the Cavalier. I was beating the same people in both cars. So maybe your right if you like jerking a stick around everytime you drive yeah it's better- But why im passing your ass and you have one hand on your stick and one on the wheel ill be flipping the bird at your ass.
Friday, October 28, 2005 2:05 PM
^ yeah but an auto can't think about what your going to do next. tell you what , from 60 mph we will race to 100mph. ok. this is what will happen. i down-shift to 3rd and take off, you hit the gas car slowly accels down-shifts 2 secs later 1 sec later your torque converter catches up. by then i am a car or 2 a head. and i only have to shift to 4th at like 90mph. and in the new cavaliers 3rd gear is the power gear. sure your feet and you hands get less tired in city traffic. but that is why i live in the country

Saturday, November 05, 2005 11:38 PM
RAKSJ04 wrote:^ yeah but an auto can't think about what your going to do next. tell you what , from 60 mph we will race to 100mph. ok. this is what will happen. i down-shift to 3rd and take off, you hit the gas car slowly accels down-shifts 2 secs later 1 sec later your torque converter catches up. by then i am a car or 2 a head. and i only have to shift to 4th at like 90mph. and in the new cavaliers 3rd gear is the power gear. sure your feet and you hands get less tired in city traffic. but that is why i live in the country
Right on! the cavi in third gear is crazy your auto would not keep up. Maybe if your sunfire had any serious mod on it to make that "crazy hp" it would matter but it doesnt. You have an intake and muffler. Laying down some serious power. I agree if you have 1800hp i would like the trans to shift itself. Driving an auto takes less skill then it does to drive a stick. I dont knock the auto trans though. I believe there is a time for automatic transmissions. Road head is one of those . Anywho i think you both have a good point but in a race between a bone stock sunfire and cavi or whatever the one with the five speed depending on driver should win. Although i will say that first gear in the sunfire is fairly peppy. But see when you have problems shifting to hard into third gear because you have too much power than you can say you have an issue with sticks.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 2:11 PM
Quote:

SO you think your muffler unlocked 5 hp haha.

was kidding............... i was b/s'n all of those numbers as a joke....................
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:06 PM
naww the sunfire is much faster. I bet a cav pretty damn bad when I was stock, but a colbalt is more of a challenge and I won only by a car link.

Watch my car race
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/852025/8
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:44 AM
hey i bet i can beat most cars....around the curves.

cavaliers and sunfires are the same car with different body and interior parts, as stated before it comes down to the driver in the end.

Friday, March 03, 2006 5:20 AM
It's a driver's race, they're the same car. And I would love to see a dyno-proven 8.9hp air intake, pluse 5hp gain from a muffler. I know you said you were joking about the numbers, but if it's a good intake and good muffler, then i wouldn't hurt so you kinda have a slight advantage.
Friday, March 03, 2006 12:44 PM
My brother ended up trading his sunfire in for a 2005 mitsuibishi lancer es the thing is so slow it's not even funny he tried to race me before i bought my cai three weeks ago and i smoked him by at least 10 car lengths now he has a injen ram air intake and we are going to go to the track this spring i will post time slips.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:36 PM
i got an 05 cobalt 2.2l 5spd with stage 3 comp cams, aem pulleys and cam gears, 750cc ingectors, apex'i N1 uni muffler with custom exhaust from the downpipe back, stage 3 garrett t3/t4 turbo kit (with all the needed mods, listing everything would be too long but just email for questions) running 18psi, a NOS throttle body plate designed nitrous kit along with an intercooler spray bar kit. there are other miscelaneous mods that i dont feel like listin but im still looking to spend about 2 grand more on the engine, tranny, and suspension.

does any sunfire want to race? i would actually like to find one that has simliar upgrades to race for this forum to be able to decide which car was better designed
Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:03 PM
ummm sure, just put SF fenders hood, and lights in and you will see how much faster you really are.

(end sarcasm)

Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:39 PM
Nick Jackel wrote:i got an 05 cobalt 2.2l 5spd with stage 3 comp cams, aem pulleys and cam gears, 750cc ingectors, apex'i N1 uni muffler with custom exhaust from the downpipe back, stage 3 garrett t3/t4 turbo kit (with all the needed mods, listing everything would be too long but just email for questions) running 18psi, a NOS throttle body plate designed nitrous kit along with an intercooler spray bar kit. there are other miscelaneous mods that i dont feel like listin but im still looking to spend about 2 grand more on the engine, tranny, and suspension.

does any sunfire want to race? i would actually like to find one that has simliar upgrades to race for this forum to be able to decide which car was better designed

Your Cobalt won't last that long. You say your turbo'd but how the hell are you tuning everything? Currently the cobalt has no way of truely tuning for a decent turbo setup. Sure you can upgrade the fuel rail and Injectors.... but your going to want a proper tune!

Monday, July 31, 2006 1:32 PM
Quote:

Your Cobalt won't last that long. You say your turbo'd but how the hell are you tuning everything? Currently the cobalt has no way of truely tuning for a decent turbo setup. Sure you can upgrade the fuel rail and Injectors.... but your going to want a proper tune!

well if u want to know how to do what i did just go and check out the sites that i used. there is an ecotec drag engine booklet that tells you how to get up to like 1600hp but i got the one that is a 600hp handbook.

** http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/home.htm

** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=318797&t=318797

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/perfparts/home.jsp

so dont sit there and tell me that i dont know what im talking about
Monday, July 31, 2006 2:25 PM
ummm let's see here

the cars listed and used in that write up will never be used as a daily driver. with may the exception of the ones under 300 hp just for street ability reasons

how many miles to you think that 1600 hp motor is driven before its totally rebuilt, not to mention worked on after every run it makes.

also the computers that are in your cobalt vs. the ones they are using are different, how you may well theirs was replaced by a complete stand alone unit custom made for GM performance.

oh and BTW people tend to not think you know what your talking about if you have nothing in your profile that suggests it. just a tip

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:41 AM
Tha Cavi and the Fire ARE the exact same car only slightly different body parts. Why do you think a front end swap is so easy?

You guys are a trip! Oh and Nick, go talk to Karo on J-Body.org I'm sure he'll have something for ya! And yes its a Sunfire too.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:38 AM
My Car Only has 7K miles on it and I've put about $20 into the @!#$in thing. I already own a Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and a 1992 S-10 and the Z06 runs almost a 12 flat which its basically stock and the S-10 hasn't been ran yet but it'll got the chevy crate 632CI motor- 900 H.P. - 725 Ft. Lbs. Torque (Drag Only Vehicle). But once I get some time to get to the track again I'll save the slip and I'll post all the slips and I'll go and f*ckin dyno the cars for ya just to show that I know what I have done to them and to show you that I'm not just tryin to bull@!#$ ya.

For the S-10 motor that I got u can find it on: either gm's website or at http://www.paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=10015

and pictures of me with the vette: www.myspace.com/cryinblood (if you are a registered user)
Friday, August 04, 2006 5:42 AM
Nick Jackel wrote:i got an 05 cobalt 2.2l 5spd with stage 3 comp cams, aem pulleys and cam gears, 750cc ingectors, apex'i N1 uni muffler with custom exhaust from the downpipe back, stage 3 garrett t3/t4 turbo kit (with all the needed mods, listing everything would be too long but just email for questions) running 18psi, a NOS throttle body plate designed nitrous kit along with an intercooler spray bar kit. there are other miscelaneous mods that i dont feel like listin but im still looking to spend about 2 grand more on the engine, tranny, and suspension.

Nick Jackel wrote:My car has 7k miles on it and I've put about $20 into the @!#$in thing.

Um, yeah I'm gonna call those mods cost more then $20.00 dude. Look you said ANY SUNFIRE so I told you to look up Karo of Car Customs, no need for any hate man.
You threw down the gaunlet so I was just showing you someone to race. Basicly what I'm saying is don't forget that no matter how fast you are, or think you are, someone is ALWAYS faster.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, August 04, 2006 5:16 PM
well i never said that someone wasnt faster than me cuz i have a friend who has a street legal eagle talon that runs 9.03 without usin nitrous. and i kno that there are other ecotecs that would blow me away. but as soon as i get back home from this business trip am on ill get some pics of my car, the motor and a slip from the track n ill post it for ya. so until then u can not believe me all u want n it doesnt bother me but once that time comes all i want to kno is that u respect that im not lying to u.

and about the cost... im not sure how much it costed cuz i just told the guys at the local performance shop what i wanted n once it came in my dad paid for it. ill ask him what the cost of it when i get back too.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search