dirt track car - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dirt track car
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 6:43 PM
I am currently build a 2033 cavalier for dirt track racing at my local track. I am wondering if there is a way to eliminate the rev limiter on this vehicle. I know they are there for a purpose, but I need to get this car to pull alittle longer down the straights before it comes up against the limiter.

Re: dirt track car
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 9:42 PM
brian conley wrote:I am currently build a 2033 cavalier

umm something wrong there

LOL

<br>

Monday, November 22, 2004 6:36 PM
Sorry, I meant 2003
Thursday, December 02, 2004 1:39 AM
Good luck with removing the rev limiter, i've been loking into it and the Ecotec ECU is just not that easy to modify. Apart from swapping in a full stand alone engine management system it's not gonn happen.
Sunday, January 02, 2005 9:58 PM
they are working on it
i hear they have a working version
just needs testing <br>

Monday, January 31, 2005 4:19 PM
I assume this is a front wheel drive car?

If it's a RWD application, please provide details (what you did, how you did it, etc.).

Regards.
Sunday, November 27, 2005 7:40 PM
The top speed is determined by the VSS vehicle speed sensor which outputs 4000 pulses/mile. TERF, Inc. sells speedometer calibrators. Changing the amount of pulses the PCM Powertrain Control Module sees from 4000/mile to 3,500/mile or even less than that might trick the computer into thinking the car is traveling slower. However the PCM also takes input signals from the engine (RPM) so whether this will work or not isn't set in stone. IF you remove the VSS from the transaxle the PCM goes into a default mode and you still wont' get past the 105/108 MPH top speed. Getting a GM tech to reflash the PCM to raise the speed limiter or knowing someone who can hack the codes using existing software tools for V6/V8's is another option. HP Tuners is supposedly coming out with a software package for 4 Cylinder GM applications. When this will take place only they know. You might want to contact them to confirm if/when they are going to do this. Otherwise a stand alone fuel management system bypassing the ECU and PCM is the only alternative. The money spent on that could go into the engine itself, suspension, etc.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:20 PM
Did u ever solve the problem ? how ? I would to know, I'm currentley working on a 2003 sunfr, which will be ice-racing next season.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:00 PM
If you get hptuners you will have to move your rev limiter as I said in your other post, you will need big cams so you have to move your revs up to around 7500.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search