GM Racing Sport Compact Team In Puerto Rico - News Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Racing Sport Compact Team In Puerto Rico
Monday, January 10, 2005 1:27 PM on
DETROIT, Jan. 10, 2005 - Looking to build on the foundation of a record-setting 2004 season in the NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series, the GM Racing factory team begins preparations for the upcoming campaign with an exhibition appearance at Carolina Raceway Park in Carolina, Puerto Rico, on Jan. 29-Feb. 2.

After back-to-back championships in Pro FWD with Nelson Hoyos in a Chevy Cavalier, the GM Racing team will switch to an ECOtec-powered Chevy Cobalt for Pro FWD competition in 2005, and race fans will get to see the re-bodied racer on track at Carolina Raceway Park for a preliminary public exhibition.

Re: GM Racing Sport Compact Team In Puerto Rico
Monday, January 10, 2005 1:28 PM on
GM Racing Sport Compact Team To Hit The Track In Puerto Rico

DETROIT, Jan. 10, 2005 - Looking to build on the foundation of a record-setting 2004 season in the NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series, the GM Racing factory team begins preparations for the upcoming campaign with an exhibition appearance at Carolina Raceway Park in Carolina, Puerto Rico, on Jan. 29-Feb. 2.

After back-to-back championships in Pro FWD with Nelson Hoyos in a Chevy Cavalier, the GM Racing team will switch to an ECOtec-powered Chevy Cobalt for Pro FWD competition in 2005, and race fans will get to see the re-bodied racer on track at Carolina Raceway Park for a preliminary public exhibition.

"As our Cobalt race car will not yet be complete with its final paint scheme, this event will give our fans in Puerto Rico an exciting and rare pre-launch look at our latest racer," said Carmen Smith, GM program manager for sport compact drag racing.

Marty Ladwig's championship-winning Pontiac Sunfire HOT ROD racecar will also be making its final public appearance at Carolina Raceway Park with some exhibition racing. Ladwig was the first to make a seven-second pass in the HOT ROD class in the Pontiac Sunfire, and the San Antonio, Texas, native closed out the 2004 season as the winningest driver in the class with nine career victories.

"We're excited at the opportunity to meet some new fans and let them see our Pontiac for the last time," said Ladwig. "We've accomplished a lot of goals with this racecar and had a lot of firsts with this program. It's been awesome to be a part of the GM Racing team and I am looking forward to 2005."

Hoyos, the 2003 and 2004 Pro FWD champion, will also be at Carolina Raceway Park to answer questions and sign autographs. The Cuban-born Hoyos was named '04 Turbo Magazine Sport Compact Driver of the Year and his 12 career wins ties him with Matt Scranton for most career victories in the Sport Compact Series. He currently holds both the elapsed-time and speed records in Pro FWD at 7.406 seconds and 194.88 mph.

"What a great way to kick-off a new season by going down to Carolina Raceway Park," said Hoyos. "The drag-racing fans in Puerto Rico are amazing, and I'm honored to be invited to this first ever GM Extravaganza event."

For information on Carolina Raceway Park call (787) 768-3424.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

# # # #

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 2:52 PM on
finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy they come to me land

el miedo lo dejamos en la gabeta
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 5:29 PM on
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I'll be there.
Saturday, January 15, 2005 10:23 AM on
I wish I could be there to see this. The best of the best in my native Puerto Rico.
Saturday, January 15, 2005 6:04 PM on
I'll be there WoOt wOot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monday, January 17, 2005 4:37 PM on
GM RACING TEAM WELCOME TO PUERTO RICO.Im very happy cuase i just bought my CHEVY CAVALIER 2005 LS SPORT COUPE.And i will be there at CAROLINA RACE PARK
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:59 AM on
Javier, don't be smoking weed that day ok!
Saturday, January 22, 2005 3:08 PM on
^

@!#$ don't forget to call me
Saturday, January 29, 2005 5:50 AM on
Too bad they aren't bringing the cars, only the drivers to sign autographs etc.... Count me out.
Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:23 AM on
Ok. Weekend was raining so events were cancelled and re-set to Wednesday night. I was there and had a great time. Good cars and good drivers including of course Lisa and Nelson. I met them and they are really wonderful persons. We talked for a while about last racing season and next year plans for each one. They have very nice plans that may include Puerto Rico and great plans for next season in US with the Cobalt being the body and of course the Ecotec as the power plant. Thanks to Lisa and Nelson for their time and kindness and good luck in 2005.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search