Do kids seem to be stupider these days? - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Do kids seem to be stupider these days?
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:11 AM on j-body.org
Let me put it another way.... Stupider is something George Bush would use.

I wrote this post a long time ago, a real long time ago, back in 94.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:06 PM on j-body.org
This is stupider than that and the third thing is the stupidest of all.

Like it or not, it is proper english. Now knowing when to use it is another story.

Use er and est when appropriate.. More and most for the rest.

IE: You can be willing, or more willing, but not "willinger"

PAX
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:11 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:

PAX

Wasn't "Willinger" that hair band from the 80's?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:53 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:This is stupider than that and the third thing is the stupidest of all.

Like it or not, it is proper english. Now knowing when to use it is another story.

Use er and est when appropriate.. More and most for the rest.

PAX

so this is a proper sentence in your book
The cake is the deliciousest ever!
No, sorry its not.

Wait, AIN"T is in the dictionary, it must be a word too....

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:30 PM on j-body.org
Ain't is a word, yes. But like all words, including the 7 you can't say on television (@!#$, piss, @!#$, cunt, cocksucker, @!#$, tits), and the three added (fart, turd, twat), there are times when they are to be used, and times when they are not.

If you smack your thumb with a hammer, it's appropriate to say, "@!#$" or "@!#$". Meeting your b/f's or g/f's parents for the first time might not be the time to say them. "I'm going to take a @!#$ and then @!#$ your daughter/son." would likely make them want you to leave the premises.

Even terms like "ain't" have their colloquial uses. Just because it's informal doesn't mean it's bad. Otherwise, we'd have to get rid of "hi" and "bye".

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:38 PM on j-body.org
No, the cake would be the most delicious ever. Delicious is one of the words you do not use the modifiers "er" and "est" with. So in that case you are correct. Regarding the root stupid, you are wrong. See there are rules, and they vary from word to word. Welcome to English. You know by now that the rules are not applied to all words, there are always exceptions in English. Remember this?

"I" before "e" unless after "c" or when sounding like "a" as in neighbour and sleigh (some say weigh) On weekends and holidays and all thoughout May and you'll always be wrong no matter what you say.
^ now that's a tough rule ^

Then there's good old Homographs.

What word is this? ---> Bow

Are you sure? Is it the Bow of a ship? The thing and actor does to the crowd at the end of a performance or perhaps the pretty little knot in Sally's shoes

Did you notice the words "knot" and "shoes" in that sentance.. Knot.. not "not" and Shoes sounding an aweful lot like "shoos"

See, lots of funny exceptions in this wonderfully flexible language.

Credit goes to funnyman Brian Regan for the little poem about the "I before e" rule.

PAX
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:14 PM on j-body.org
I know there are rules and stupid is one you use the words more and most. Did you pay attention in grade school?
I was using the word delicious to illistrate my point about stupid.

And ain't technically is a improper contraction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:16 PM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:26 PM on j-body.org
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:10 PM on j-body.org
Yes yes, every result acknowledging that stupider is a word but it's awkword and not preferred. The point here is that as it is a word, then its use cannot be considered improper. Awkword, yes. Annoying even. I personally don't like it or use it but, it is proper English.

I bet you have no problem with stupidest. Like: This is becoming the stupidest thread ever.

PAX
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:37 PM on j-body.org
SO then ain't is proper english? No. I will succeed it is a word yet a very improper one and only serves to make one look uneducated.
Hahahaha wrote:
I bet you have no problem with stupidest. Like: This is becoming the stupidest thread ever.

PAX

It is most stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:38 PM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:23 AM on j-body.org
Ain't is slang and would be noted as such in any dictionary that dared print it.

Will ya just giv it up. When Oxford says it's English, it is. I won't use the word "stupider" beyond this thread, I promise. If I ever did though, it would not technically be wrong.

PAX

Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:16 AM on j-body.org
^^^why i said "Ain't" is a colloqialism. It is proper english, but is only tyo be used in an informal setting.

Anyhow, for as bad as Enligsh is about rules...Slavic languages are worse They have rules that make english seem as cut-and-dried as any of the romantic languages! At least our words stay the same no matter where they go in the sentance...Slavic languages? It changes!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:59 AM on j-body.org
Do they have words that cannot be pronouced properly without context?

Like Bow, read, lead, convict, certificate, compact, desert, etc..

The man was to conduct the orchestra but he was not allowed because of poor conduct so he desided to desert the posting in the desert. I object the use of that object. He proceeds to give the proceeds to charity. etc. etc etc

PAX

PS: I refuse to deal with refuse.
Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:19 AM on j-body.org
Not that i know of, but they have words that you have no clue what they are until you know the context. the only time pronunciation becomes an issue is when they have to use an english-type keyboard. Then you don't know how it's pronounced. For example. Miška, on my keyboard, write's her name as Miska. In slovak, that would be pronounced "Mees-kah", while the appropriate pronounciation is "Meesh-kah". hence the "š". As such, those unfarminilar with the word or name may mispronounce it.

And, when you get into the influences from other languages, it's gets more tricky. Since Slovakia is on the hungarian border, and at one time was part of the Hungarian empire, you have hungarian influences, which can throw the rules out the window. Take a Slovak hockey player--Ladislav Nagy. Under the Czech/slovak pronunciation, it would be "Nah-gee". But, being Hungarian derivative, it's "Nah-zhj" (think the zhj pronounced like the Z in Seizure).

Pronounciation can be easier, since the stress in slovak is always on the first syllable. But it's more of a rule of what word do you use? Milujem ta (I love you) or Aj Ti Mi Chybas (I miss you too)--both use in conversation with my g/f--you can tell . The "Ti" and "Ta" both mean "you", but in engish, you is always you. Plus, they have words that have ALL CONSONANTS! Makes it kinda hell to figure out how to pronounce them!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:03 PM on j-body.org
I have a Czech friend who's last name is all consonants so that part didn't surprise me.

Thanks for the insight. Going back to Latin now...

PAX
Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:11 PM on j-body.org
Emor8t wrote:Ummm, shouldn't it be more stupid? idk.

Yes, it is. I don't mean to poke fun, but I can't help laughing when I see a thread title like this, and then see a post bashing kids for pulling stunts... no offense intended, but it's pretty hilarious.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:11 PM on j-body.org
Listen, guy I don't know, we need to drop that subject. It's been discussed. If you want to start a new thread, go right ahead. I'm sure there will be 4-5 people that will make it around 4 pages more of "Is stupider a word or not". If not the jacking has to stop. It's driving me nuts.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:43 PM on j-body.org
That Thing Got An Ecotec? wrote:
Emor8t wrote:Ummm, shouldn't it be more stupid? idk.

Yes, it is. I don't mean to poke fun, but I can't help laughing when I see a thread title like this, and then see a post bashing kids for pulling stunts... no offense intended, but it's pretty hilarious.

I see the irony here, 3 pages of discussion over a word, yet kids are more stupid.

Maybe kids aren't any more stupiderer than we ARE....

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Friday, August 25, 2006 6:25 AM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:Listen, guy I don't know, we need to drop that subject. It's been discussed. If you want to start a new thread, go right ahead. I'm sure there will be 4-5 people that will make it around 4 pages more of "Is stupider a word or not". If not the jacking has to stop. It's driving me nuts.

Yeah really. Ok everybody make sure you use "Proper" english in your thread title and post or Sappy will jack your thread and turn it into a stupid ass that isn't a word thread.
That Thing Got An Ecotec? wrote:

Emor8t wrote:

Ummm, shouldn't it be more stupid? idk.

I see the irony here, 3 pages of discussion over a word, yet kids are more stupid.

Maybe kids aren't any more stupiderer than we ARE....

agreed
and to Sappy and anybody else who does not think Stupider is a word I've already proven it's a word and if you don't like it Tell the @!#$ dictionary publisher or Get A Life! So what if it isn't porper english at least it's more understandable than Ebonics .
Hahahaha wrote:
As far as kids getting "stupider", I don't think so. The opportunity to show off how stupid you are has become more accessable. First there's the easier access to cars and technology to do stupid things with, then there's the internet's ability to spread the stupidity around. People have always done stupid things, but in the past it didn't get much further than the person's circle of friends and aquaintances. Now with the magic of the internet, your friends can post a video of you being stupid for the whole world to see.

Isn't the internet wonderful

Good point.

Friday, August 25, 2006 7:16 AM on j-body.org
This thread had potential to have a good discussion until the grammar police had to show up and exert their mastery over the English language...

"Stupider", lets all agree is sounds retarded, drop it, and move on already.....

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Friday, August 25, 2006 2:30 PM on j-body.org
Okay, I'm gonna weigh in on this "stupider" nonsense before I take you all on a ride to the middle of the woods and just LEAVE YOU THERE!

First, my creditials: I've been writing for 16 years, books, short stories, screeplays. I've had articles and reviews published. So I know how to write pretty well.

Is "stupider" a word?

YES.

Stupid + er = More stupid. It is a logical extension of the word stupid and creatively used to replace "dumber". Even the nearly 100 year old writer's bible "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White says that one shouldn't be chained by perfect grammar and that in certain circumstances you may use non-standard words.

Now LET IT GO.

Oh, and one more thing. Even after 16 years my grammar and spelling is perfect only about 75% of the time. However, a wwwboard is an informal setting and there is no way in hell that I am gonna be policing every word I write, spikej shouldn't either.

That would be stupider.

Friday, August 25, 2006 6:07 PM on j-body.org
I'm not expecting him to or anyone else. The problem arises when you are commenting of the stupidity of another and use words like stupider and ain't. It just makes it look like the pot is calling the kettle black.

Kids are dumb, its part of being a kid.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:08 AM on j-body.org
Stupider is a word, used correctly in this case, and the original poster did not use the word "ain't" so right now, you are the only one looking kinda well.. Not so good. I think you should take your foot out of your mouth and go home for now

PAX
Monday, August 28, 2006 8:16 AM on j-body.org
Back on topic:

I still diasagree. Whether genetic or learned, there are some f-ing STUPID parents out there, that are breeding and teaching stupidity. Thus, with safety toys, bicycle helmets, fireproof pajamas, and laws protecting stupid people from themselves and not allowing them to become a potential darwin award candidate, you're getting more and more stupid people.

Hell, if you screen your kids "Red Asphalt" or "Blood flows red on the highway" it would probably teach them to look both ways more often, and those that don't become a permanent part of some semi truck's grill. Sucks to be them. And the parents should be ashamed of themselves for spawning such a sub-par human into life . That i think would do a lot better than adding the speed control bumps in neighborhoods.

After all, most uf us survived well without them, but then again, i think most of us had parents that realized that in a collision between and 6-year old and a speeding Studebaker, the 6-year old becomes chutney, so they punished us when we didn't look both ways.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search