HotRodder Haters - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HotRodder Haters
Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:28 PM on j-body.org
Alright, you knwo i have no problem with hot rodders. they are awesome. But why do we get so much SH*T when we are trying to do the best we can with what we have? I was driving aroudn with some buddies of mine, and one of my friends comes up with his 56 belair. I was alright thats kind of cool. But when he started giving me sh*t about my j-body. I flipped @!#$. Why do they hate us so much. that we have to take the verbal abuse from them? Dont they understand? we are thenext generation of hot rodders. Just tell me what you all think about this subject. and hopfully you all have some constructive critisism.
Thanks

Kyle

Re: HotRodder Haters
Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:54 AM on j-body.org
It's the whole "riceboy tuner" stereotype, whih unfortunately is more often true than not. And some people are just naturally jerks.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:42 AM on j-body.org
They forget that they are trying to do the exact same thing, just with different cars.

I mean, they invented the small block and then it was all about using that to take down the guys with the big block, which is a prime example of guys "doing more, with less" which is basicly the exact same thing that tuners have been doing since what? the early 90's?

He was just a jerk. Don't let it get to you.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:12 AM on j-body.org
aight guys thanks alot..
Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:33 PM on j-body.org
Probably tought u were just another kid w/ fart can and wing that thinks they have a race car.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:39 PM on j-body.org
twice as many cylinders, half a brain

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, August 20, 2006 1:43 PM on j-body.org
Funny thing:

Hot rodders hate show-car owners because the show cars look like they're worth a million dollars, but hardly ever get driven, so what's the point?
Show-car owners hate hot rodders beacuse the cars don't get up to their pre-eminent white-glove standards
Both hate rat rodders because the cars look ugly and it takes away from their ability to source parts.
Rat rodders hate the other's because the ass-holes that get uptight about someone else's car should drive themselves off a cliff, but never do.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:13 PM on j-body.org
PowerPlayer wrote:Dont they understand? we are thenext generation of hot rodders.
To be clear, 99 out of every 100 members of this site are NOT the "next generation of hot rodder". They are people who shop in the APC aisle at Pep Boys. J-Bodies in particular will certainly never be gracing the pages of any future Hot Rod magazines tagged as a "classic".

You want to know why this "scene" gets disrepected so much? Because it doesn't respect anyone else, let alone itself. This is a scene that is more interested in appearance and noise than in horsepower and good taste. Step back one minute and LOOK at most of the cars you see at the shopping centers and other "standing around on a parking lot" meets. Some are certainly built with care and with a plan in mind. Most, however, are built with a "what part can I afford this week?" mentality. No plan, no goals, no continuity in appearance.

THEN look at the attitude of many of the owners of these cars... trying light to light racing against anything with wheels, burnouts for no other reason than to say LOOK AT ME!! and bashing anyone that doesn't agree with them. They give automotive enthusiasts as a whole a bad name with their behavior, and they're universally disliked for it. The "hate" isn't about compact cars, or about imports or 4 cylinders or FWD vs RWD. It's about attitude.
A wise man wrote:act a douche, get treated like one - whats the surprise?
Here is my review of the "scene" from almost a year ago. It was true 15 years ago, it was true a year ago when I wrote that and it's certainly still true today.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Sunday, August 20, 2006 3:31 PM on j-body.org
Jimmy is pretty dead on. The problem is the LOOK AT ME!!!!! I NEED ATTENTION 24 HOURS A DAY!!!!! attitude from a lot of guys and the total cluelessness when it comes to cars.

I think every new vehicular genre goes through the same birth pains and has like 80% idiots at the beginning. Eventually the idiots move on to the next thing and the cool guys stay. It was that way with Hot-Rodding in the 40's, with Gassers in the 50's, with Musclecars in the 60's, with Custom Vans in the 70's, with Pro Street in the 80's and with Sport Compact in the 90's and today. It's a phase. When electric lowrider cars become the next phase the jerks will move on.

The new musclecar movement is driving me nuts personally. 90% of the new owners can't drive a stick and have their cars fitted with 20" wheels and AC because they're expecting a 1969 Camaro to drive like a 2006 Honda Civic. It's totally ridiculous. Plus these idiots pay ANYTHING for these cars. They made like 20,000 Z/28's in 1969 and I'd bet that at least 10,000 are still on the road. There is NO reason for any of these cars to be worth more than 30,000$ NONE. Factor in the replicas for the dummies who don't understand that originality means the car costs more and you have me grinding my teeth and wanting to kill people. There is one good thing about it though. Since these guys don't know anything about cars and will only buy the best and newest musclecar examples, you can get awesome deals on fixer-uppers.

As for the Sport Compact scene today I like it. It's fun to try and hop up four bangers. Personally I think a lot of people focus too much on expensive aftermarket parts that cost a @!#$load and barely add 5hp when they should be trying to hack into the onboard computer instead, but that's just me.
Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:29 PM on j-body.org
Jeremy Knox wrote:
they should be trying to hack into the onboard computer instead, but that's just me.

haha yep dude, you are all right. But that still doesnt explain why they ahve to be like that? so they are dicks. alright. But why cant they understand that we are fighting a battle that will win over time. BUT IT WILL BE WON IN A LONG TIME~! but i cant say much about this. The only thing i can say is you guys are right. and i think every time any "Rice burner" beats down a "Hot rodder" It makes the whole show car or "Rice burner" community feel better. Most of the time, maybe not you guys, but me, i feel like a complete retard. Because people give me looks. these looks say. OMG what a POS. who would try to make a j-body into a show car. It doesnt make any sense. So all ive got to say is. KEEP IT UP, PUT DOWN THOSE DA*N HOTRODDERS. why because they derserve it in so many asspects. thanks guys keep up the good work

Kyle
Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:54 PM on j-body.org
Uhm HP TUners works on the Js. Alot of guys like that don't like my car because what it is but w/e, it will smoke any other GTOs that came from the factory.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447

Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:41 PM on j-body.org
Sappy96 wrote:Uhm HP TUners works on the Js. Alot of guys like that don't like my car because what it is but w/e, it will smoke any other GTOs that came from the factory.

Exactly why I hate the tuner scene.

Its all one big cock fight.

If everyone would just drop the "my car is faster/louder/prettier than yours attitude" and adopt a "nice job on what youve done" attitude, the world would be a happier place. Working on cars should be a hobby shared by people that brings us together, not a competition that ends in internet fighting.

Monday, August 21, 2006 4:17 AM on j-body.org
Ehh, what kills me about the people that say that is that thier car isn't even at the cruise in.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Monday, August 21, 2006 4:31 AM on j-body.org
you have idiots in every type of builder, its not one certain style. to say why do THEY hate on us instead of saying why did this guy hate on me allready sets off your statement as being opposed to all hot rodders. ive had allot of older guys at car shows come up and talk to me about my car asking how i did this or that, and ive been shown allot of respect. i dont think ive ever had a hot rodder talk down to me so its not all hot rodders. dont try and lump all of them into one category and maybe next time they wont lump you into a certain category. a guy can be an @!#$ wether he drives a hot rod an import or even another j-body. ive probalby gotten more hate from j-body owners then anyone else. at least to my face that is. so dont lump an entire type of tuner into a category based on one idiot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, August 21, 2006 7:25 AM on j-body.org
yea ok...sndsgood, is kinda right, but based on some of the car shows ive gone to, the hotrodders have talked and looked down at me. But on the other hand, maybe we should categorize them all together. but its just our nature. justlike most of them categorize us together.
I am just getting sick of this scene. and sometimes it makes me want to just STOP, and give up. But on the other hand, building a car to make it your own, is what is fun about it. and pretty soon, my car will be faster look cooler and get better gas mileage then their stuff. the only difference is i didnt pay 50,000 dollars to start out my car. like they did, and i wont have as much into is as they do either. So im not gonna give up. But those hot rodders need to stop talking down to us. We dont talk up to them. we try to talk face to face with them. so i suppose we all have to try our hardest to nice to the old guys. lol
thanks for your support all of you. this forum makes me feel so much better about my j-body. and i hope more people will add to this.
THANKS

Kyle
Monday, August 21, 2006 8:17 AM on j-body.org
What most hot rodders seem to forget is that most "muscle" cars started out as economy cars. The "big 3" started to make at the factory what people were doing in their garages. Anyone ever seen a GTO Judge? It's a Lemans (which was a semi-luxury economy car) that had huge stickers, loud mufflers, chrome interior pieces added and... A GIANT WING!

Add 30 years and change "Lemans" to "Civic" and we're in the same place.

Unfortunately haters are everywhere. Even among hot rodders they scorn each other for having a Ford instead of a Chevy, or for putting a Chrysler Hemi into a Buick. We've got the same thing here. Before you get your hackles up, ask yourself how many times you've bashed someone for having a Civic...

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, August 21, 2006 11:39 AM on j-body.org
PowerPlayer wrote:Alright, you knwo i have no problem with hot rodders. they are awesome. But why do we get so much SH*T when we are trying to do the best we can with what we have? I was driving aroudn with some buddies of mine, and one of my friends comes up with his 56 belair. I was alright thats kind of cool. But when he started giving me sh*t about my j-body. I flipped @!#$. Why do they hate us so much. that we have to take the verbal abuse from them? Dont they understand? we are thenext generation of hot rodders. Just tell me what you all think about this subject. and hopfully you all have some constructive critisism.
Thanks

Kyle

You know what's REALLY funny? Is that the 56 Belair's power-to-weight ration was worse than a Z24's stock. The V8's from that year didn't make any power to speak of, at least by today's standards.

Plus, he'd have to put soooo much power into his car just to match the speeds of a modern turbo-charged 4 banger off the factory floor.

---

Monday, August 21, 2006 12:57 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:for putting a Chrysler Hemi into a Buick

What idiot would do that? The 455 Buick had made more torque than the hemis.
AGuSTiN wrote:

Plus, he'd have to put soooo much power into his car just to match the speeds of a modern turbo-charged 4 banger off the factory floor.

Not really, it is easy to lose alot of weight on older cars. Seats back then actually weighed in at 50+lbs. But back on topic, the guy was retarded. Forget him and move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 21, 2006 12:59 PM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Monday, August 21, 2006 3:03 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:

You know what's REALLY funny? Is that the 56 Belair's power-to-weight ration was worse than a Z24's stock. The V8's from that year didn't make any power to speak of, at least by today's standards.

The 56 Belair made 162hp gross (about 100hp net) in a 3200lbs car with a 2 speed automatic transmission. Of course it's not gonna go fast. Besides, it's a moot point since nearly none of these cars are stock anymore except for a handful of museum pieces. It's too easy to stuff in a modern 350 with a 4 speed automatic and drive something around that you can find parts for.. As for the weight, same deal, a lot of these cars can be stripped down to about 2900lbs easy if you know what you're doing. So a 300hp V8 in a 2900lbs car? You gotta obey physics. High power, low mass, that sort of thing.

I don't boast about what I drive and I always respect the other person's ride. You never know what they could have in there and some people are wickedly clever. I know quite a few V8 guys who got the shock of their lives in the early 90's when this 17 year old kid with the big brain and automotive knowledge was racing them in a stripped 1984 Honda CRX with a slightly modded (intake and exhaust) 200+hp Integra engine. The moral is that the more you brag the dumber you look. Personally, I think that a stripped Honda Insight would be an insanely fast car if you put in an Acura RSX engine in it and got rid of all that Hybrid crap and just kept the bare minimum of a streering wheel and a seat. What would that thing weigh? 1000lbs? Give that puppy 200hp and hold the hell on.

Also, who CARES what people drive? Some cars are fun! I'm not a Baja Bug guy but those cars look awesome. I'm not into Lowriders, but come on! It looks neat as hell to jump around like an idiot. Same thing with J-bodys. I'm a V8 retro musclecar guy, but if I can get 200hp out of a reliable 4 banger that I can drive on the street (and in the snow) and have loads of fun with, I think that's awesome! Sometimes you just gotta chill out and remember than you're into the scene because you ENJOY it. People gotta stop having that childish need to impress every damn body.

Look at what I used to drive a year ago. That's hardly the "best" car on the road. But you know what? It's FUN. It's more fun than anything I've ever driven. The speedometer, parking brake and side windows don't work and there's no clutch or exhaust and it'll trigger a symphony of car alarms just by driving by around a parking lot. You can't listen to the radio because it doesn't work. All four tires are bald. The alternator's dead. The gauges don't work. It's got insanely high mileage and it's so rusted that the reason I put it in storage was that a) you can see through the floorboards to the road below and b) the gas tank fell off.

Yet... doesn't it look like a f#%king BLAST to drive?

That's all the counts in the end. Fun.
Monday, August 21, 2006 3:56 PM on j-body.org
Sappy96 wrote:
John Wilken wrote:for putting a Chrysler Hemi into a Buick

What idiot would do that? The 455 Buick had made more torque than the hemis..

^^Proving the poiint..

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, August 21, 2006 4:35 PM on j-body.org
NO, I am not. When people do stuff like what you are mentioning its more for doing a Dodge charger w/ a SBC. There would be no actual point to put a hemi in. When people put different motors in its usually for a reason like price of parts or avaiability. I am just saying the hemi and buick was a bad example.
Thats like saying I took this viper and put a c5 motor in it. Doesn't make much sense does it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 21, 2006 4:40 PM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447

Monday, August 21, 2006 4:45 PM on j-body.org
Sappy96 wrote:NO, I am not. When people do stuff like what you are mentioning its more for doing a charger w/ a SBC. There would be no actual point to put a hemi in. When people put different motors in its usually for a reason like price of parts or avaiability. I am just saying the hemi and buick was a bad example.
Thats like saying I took this viper and put a c5 motor in it. Doesn't make much sense does it.

Whether it makes sense or not to put a hemi into a Buick isn't the point. You see it as a bad choice, so you immediately throw the word "idiot" out there. Rather than appreciate the skill and craftsmanship necessary to put this together, you insult it, just like the OP had happen to him from a hot rodder. Therefore, proving the point.

Here's where a Hemi in a Buick makes perfect sense, Sappy.

Man has a wrecked mopar with a hemi in it.
Man has a beautiful Buick with a fried 350 motor. (they weren't all Stage 3 455's)
Man takes hemi puts into Buick.
Man gets insulted because his work isn't considered normal.

Remember your scorn for a "hemi in a buick" next time someone in an original GTO tells you that yours isn't a real goat.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, August 21, 2006 5:16 PM on j-body.org
My own personal preference for putting a Hemi in a non-Chrysler car is a 1951 Kaiser Henry J Gasser. These cars rock.

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:07 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:
Sappy96 wrote:NO, I am not. When people do stuff like what you are mentioning its more for doing a charger w/ a SBC. There would be no actual point to put a hemi in. When people put different motors in its usually for a reason like price of parts or avaiability. I am just saying the hemi and buick was a bad example.

Whether it makes sense or not to put a hemi into a Buick isn't the point. You see it as a bad choice, so you immediately throw the word "idiot" out there. Rather than appreciate the skill and craftsmanship necessary to put this together, you insult it, just like the OP had happen to him from a hot rodder. Therefore, proving the point.

Here's where a Hemi in a Buick makes perfect sense, Sappy.

Man has a wrecked mopar with a hemi in it.
Man has a beautiful Buick with a fried 350 motor. (they weren't all Stage 3 455's)
Man takes hemi puts into Buick.
Man gets insulted because his work isn't considered normal.

Remember your scorn for a "hemi in a buick" next time someone in an original GTO tells you that yours isn't a real goat.

What scorn? Of course in that case you are right about the buick w/ a hemi. I jumped the gun thinking 455.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Monday, August 21, 2006 10:33 PM on j-body.org
lol aight dude, lets not loose sight about the original probelm here....we as tuners have to put up with alot of BS from alot of guys, because we are the new generation hotrodders. All i know is i want to build up my j-body so i can waste Vettes, and everything else on the market. why? so people who think they are low and SLOW can pull up n ext to me and rev their engine and ill answer back with a total burn out at 120...hahahawhat a dream huh. Well guys im starting school tomorrow. so hopefully ill catch ya on the flip side.

PEACE

Kyle
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search