China sub stalked U.S. fleet - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
China sub stalked U.S. fleet
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:01 AM on j-body.org
By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
November 13, 2006

A Chinese submarine stalked a U.S. aircraft carrier battle group in the Pacific last month and surfaced within firing range of its torpedoes and missiles before being detected, The Washington Times has learned.

more at: http://washingtontimes.com/national/20061113-121539-3317r.htm

Re: China sub stalked U.S. fleet
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:32 AM on j-body.org
The Chinese sub was spotted when it surfaced some 8 clicks out.

funny though... because the American carrier is supposed to be protected
from this sort of thing by anti-submarine helicopters, and an SSN (nuclear attack subs. ??

It was a Song class boat and are aparently the most modern diesel-electric subs in
Chinese service today and can be very quiet ..

although i don't believe the Chinese have mastered the most recent silencing techniques. for now ...........
it is also my understanding that the Chinese have a reputation for poorly trained crews

The 60 or so sailors on the Song may be the exception...

Similar Australian subs have frequently gotten within attack range of American carriers. So have diesel-electric boats from other nations.

Somebody is gonna get there rank & chops busted or worse !

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:42 AM on j-body.org
And were worried about Iraq? does any realize how big Chinas army is?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:50 AM on j-body.org
sirmeza wrote:And were worried about Iraq? does any realize how big Chinas army is?

750,000,000?

member nejbody
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:55 AM on j-body.org
I'm not worried about China. They'd be committing economic suicide to let us be harmed, much less harm us themselves. That trillion dollars they have of ours maybe something they could hold over our head, but at the same time, it's not worth anything if our dollar plummets.

---

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:14 AM on j-body.org
Do you really think they would think of that, if they thought they could do it with the help of North Keora, their ally? And remember North keora has nuclear capaiblties. I for one would be worried, their soliders are more displined their ours as per a discovery channel special i watched recently.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:20 AM on j-body.org
It doesnt matter who they can get to do it for them. China does not want the US harmed. They need us.

If anything, China will take care of NK for us. If our markets start to plummet over nuclear fears, I wouldn't be surprised if China overthrew NK themselves.

---

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:29 AM on j-body.org
I wouldn't count on it, but it seems likely that China will lean heavily enough on NK to keep them heeled.

As for their subs, they're not the ones I'd worry about too much. Russian boats are pretty quiet and about 1/3 of the northern fleet is laid up and looking for a new home.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:35 AM on j-body.org
i dont see that happening, And they could do without us, just like any country in the world can.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:35 AM on j-body.org
Give me a ping Vassili, one ping only please.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:40 AM on j-body.org
lol...

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:41 AM on j-body.org
sirmeza wrote:i dont see that happening, And they could do without us, just like any country in the world can.
\

Life continuing and the want of wealth are two different subjects. China wants to be wealthy and powerful, they don't want to just get on without us.

---

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:47 PM on j-body.org
If the captain of the sub attached to that attack group lost his job I wouldn't be suprised at all. Because more than a few people weren't doing their jobs on board for that to happen.

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:03 PM on j-body.org
Honestly, whats the point here. A carrier was followed. Even the best technology can stop that. Does that mean China wanted us dead? @!#$ no. You can put my word on this if you want. If china gets into a war any time in the recent future, the first country they will call on is the US. we are allies of China, even if we dissagree with most of their policies.
Friday, November 17, 2006 6:44 PM on j-body.org
Im sure Russian subs managed to shadow U.S. ships like that plenty of times... no doubt many times that we never knew about. On the other hand, I'm sure U.S. subs do the same to rival navies. Yes, if we were at war, it could have attacked a ship, but again if we were at war, there would be about 10 times more survailance around the fleet (more attack subs, ASW copters, destroyers, sonabouys, etc.)

The Chinese fleet is no match for ours, I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 12:12 PM on j-body.org
American attack subs track other navy's assets all the time, China, Russia, Australia, Germany, UK, Canada, etc (basically EVERY submarine equipped navy in the world) does this. The only difference is how quietly they do it.

Go 2 thermal layers down and the loudest subs are more or less indistinguishable from background noise to higher thermal layers.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:14 AM on j-body.org
Diesel subs are almost undetectable with passive sonar. In addition to that it says that it was within 5 miles. It'd be near impossible to completely patrol a 5 mile radius around the battle group. That's about 16 square miles of territory to cover and that area is constantly moving. The american subs with the battle group can only detect about a half mile from their location. I don't know how far the anti sub helecopters can hear with the sonar bouys, I'm sure it has greater range than the subs, but I can't comment on how far they can detect or how many are in operation at any one time.

GAM wrote:Go 2 thermal layers down and the loudest subs are more or less indistinguishable from background noise to higher thermal layers.
This is true, but usually there is usually only one thermocline in the depths a sub operates. You have to go much deeper to encounter the permenant thermal layers (most people think subs can operate much deeper than they actually do). Just being on the other side of one thermal layer gives a diesel boat a huge advantage.

You're right about other countries doing this as well. I know we did it quite a few times when I was on a fast attack. When I was on a ballistic missile sub we were the ones others were trying to track. Anytime we detected a possible contact we would sneak away as quietly as we could.
Sunday, November 19, 2006 11:56 AM on j-body.org
I know that most military subs can't go as deep as most research subs, but I thought that a thermal layer was only a separated by 1-2 degrees Celsius....

The principle is that sound is transmitted differently from cooler-warmer water.

Either way, tracking other ships is like overhead satellite surveillance, everyone does it, and everyone wants to hide what they're up to.

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:49 PM on j-body.org
EzTrip wrote:it is also my understanding that the Chinese have a reputation for poorly trained crews

Monday, December 04, 2006 2:07 PM on j-body.org
Rollinredcavi wrote: If china gets into a war any time in the recent future, .

???

My other car is an interceptor.
Monday, December 04, 2006 3:14 PM on j-body.org
Steve Webb wrote:

???

Not out of the question really, if you consider one of there main problems,

North F**kwitheveryone Korea .

it seems food and fuel supplies sent to North Korea have been halted, not to force North Korea into anything, but to return the Chinese trains the aid was carried in on. the North Koreans have just kept the trains, sending the Chinese crews back across the border apparently.

and North Korea just ignores Chinese demands that the trains be returned, and insists that the
trains are part of the aid program, that and factor in the Illegal drugs,prostitution,kidnapping,
money laundering and just about any other sin under the sun. frankly ,they are pissing the Chinese off .

Self destructive behaviour by anyone's standards. I won't get into how other country's behave the same way, just yet.

Monday, December 04, 2006 8:41 PM on j-body.org
China can lean on NK in ways that the rest of the world can't, because they're the primary trading partner.

IF China told them to cut the s**t, they'd cut the s**t. They're about 30 days away from becoming the next Tibet.

Monday, December 04, 2006 9:36 PM on j-body.org
They failed becuase they we're seen.

Unless they were really trying to scare the US (which is BS), then a good submariner shouldn't be seen or heard.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:13 AM on j-body.org
Frostbite wrote:
Steve Webb wrote:

???

Not out of the question really, if you consider one of there main problems,

North F**kwitheveryone Korea .

it seems food and fuel supplies sent to North Korea have been halted, not to force North Korea into anything, but to return the Chinese trains the aid was carried in on. the North Koreans have just kept the trains, sending the Chinese crews back across the border apparently.

and North Korea just ignores Chinese demands that the trains be returned, and insists that the
trains are part of the aid program, that and factor in the Illegal drugs,prostitution,kidnapping,
money laundering and just about any other sin under the sun. frankly ,they are pissing the Chinese off .

Self destructive behaviour by anyone's standards. I won't get into how other country's behave the same way, just yet.

At least China is getting sick of their @!#$, too. We were afraid to go after NK because it had China backing it up...if China breaks off relations with them, then we are pretty much open to attack them, and NK knows it, just too damn stupid to understand...

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:11 PM on j-body.org
Diesel Subs, believe it OR NOT are more quiet then any nuclear class submerine. The British navy employs more Diesel then NUclear subs for a reason.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search