Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 13 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Tuesday, January 01, 2008 8:44 PM on j-body.org
I hate credit cards. I like keeping myself out of debt thank you. And I'm full blooded American. Everything I've ever bought has been payed in full right on the spot. My PS3, my surround sound system, and my 37" LCD. And when I buy a new car next week, it will be paid in full, in cash, on the spot. And I know the stats would agree with you. That's why this country is in so much debt.

98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:29 AM on j-body.org
Tspence/Eric

I have a better analogy:

The 360 is like a ferrari with a tiller steer mechanism, the PS3 is like a lambo with handlebars. the Wii is like an Saturn that you can control with your thoughts.

Graphics aren't everything. Wii sales prove it. The 360 and the PS3 are last-gen when it comes to control.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:49 AM on j-body.org
tspence45 wrote:
Orlandomon wrote:well lets pretend your right, and the wii is NOT in the same category as the 360 and ps3................

then that means that both sony and microsoft are being beat my an "inferior" machine... ouch!........... maybe they arent that great after all.

Again, that's like comparing Ford sales to Lamborghini sales. More Fords are sold, but does that mean that they're better than Lamborghinis? Hell no. It means that they're more affordable. No one thinks that high-end car companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini are failures or anything, just because other campanies like Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, or Ford sell more cars than they do, do they? I think not.

That's a bad analogy because no one out to buy an Enzo will get the Taurus because it is cheaper. People out to buy a new video game system will buy the Wii because it is cheaper. Therefore, they are direct competitors.

Further, money isn't the only thing. The HUGE secondary-market for Wii consoles on Ebay and Craigslist prove that people will pay 360/Ps3 prices for a Wii. Second, I could afford to buy all three systems if I wanted and yet haven't. (You want to talk about paying for things in cash? How about paying for a crew-cab Silv in cash?)

You say the Wii has no quality games, I say the Xbox and Ps3 are lacking the quality games. The ps3 and xbox360 aren't doing anything in terms of online play that my computer hasn't been doing for the past decade. Matter of fact the Xbox360 is taking a leap backwards in my opinion in that you gotta pay to play online! Seriously, WTF?

Halo couldn't bore me more. People are all excited about an game that's less than UT2004 was? What does a PS3 have that is so great? That's not just the same game with better graphics?

Speaking of graphics - Nintendo has this one right. The Xbox and ps2 never made realistic, lifelike images back when the rez was 720x480. I never thought "ooo that looks real!". Now they're bring the same level on unrealism to HD? Great, more pixels of clearly computer generated graphics! And in all honesty, the best computer generated graphics are already back on computers.

Anyone who's ever been entertained by hours by a simple flash game knows that graphics < gameplay. The Wii has the best gameplay. And because of it, it's appeal is broader than to people like you. The Wii created it's own market the same way the Ipod did. The Ps3 and Xbox360 don't even fish in the Wii's waters, but the Wii does in theirs. In much the same way new phones are destroying PDA's, but PDA's can't touch phones.

That's why the Wii is better.

---

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:22 PM on j-body.org
Paying cash is for suckers, unless you get a huge discount. I buy EVERYTHING on my visa, for two reasons...

1) Why would i pay for something with MY MONEY, when I can pay for something with THE BANKS money and let mine EARN more interest in something else?

2) I get 2% cash back on visa, made me almost a grand cash back last year, and 3 grand the year before. (I was building a house, so yes, I did put that much on visa)

As far as consoles go, I am not reading all those pages, what should I buy?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:44 PM on j-body.org
It seems to be that if you want better game play, with more interaction in the games, and better controls, with a gamming system that is a brand new idea and still fun to play, go with the wii

If you want to sit there, like EVERY OTHER SYSTEM, holding a couple of joysticks and buttons, and get awsome graphics get the PS3 or X-Box 360.

Personally, if I had wanted to sit there on the couch and twirl some joysticks around, I would have just saved 250 bucks (plus even more on accessories), and played my regular x-box.

The wii is totally new, and I don't think it should even be classed in as far as what gen console it is, because it is a console all on its own. Sure the graphics arn't as "great" but the game play is different, the games are different, and the controls are something we have never seen before except in virtual reality systems from WAY back in the day.

I vote for the wii, hands down

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:46 PM on j-body.org
I don't sit there playing with joysticks. I bought a Logitech G25 and have the ultimate driving simulator with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. lol

98 Trans Am

Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:48 PM on j-body.org
Orlandomon wrote:if the wii was 350 bucks.... i would still pay for it , and i know plenty of people who would too.
the capabilities of the wii mote and nunchuck are endless!

where as if the 360 or ps3 was 250......i still wouldnt buy them unless i had left over money and had absolutely nothing to spend it on.

what u need to realize is that MOST people want one of the systems the most, and thats what theyre gonna buy. If I really wanted a 360, i would have bought a 360, not a wii, regardless of price..

its the american way, when we really really want something, we buy it even if we dont have the money, we use credit......... and im not gonna pull out statistics and research on how americans spend, but im sure that the stats would agree with me.

if the ps3 is ever 250 bucks, and i have the means to purchase it, i will
because there are some games i want to play that are on ps3 only

Friday, January 04, 2008 11:58 AM on j-body.org
I recently setup my Sega Genesis the other day for shiz and giggles, and it's still damn fun. But looking at it made me realize something...

.. I had bought my first high-def console way back in 1988!!

---

Monday, January 07, 2008 12:09 PM on j-body.org
Looks like Blu Ray is putting the nails in the coffin of HD DVD. Warner and now New Line are dumping HD DVD. This should be a huge boon to PS3. I'll get one since they're only $100 more than a standalone player. I'd be stupid not to.

---

Monday, January 07, 2008 1:39 PM on j-body.org
^^^Just read that moments ago. About the HD drop.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 07, 2008 3:43 PM on j-body.org
so who is left on HD DVD cuz i thought warner and new line were the only ones left lol
i think the biggest win for sony was when they got disney and its studios to use blu-ray, that was HUGE

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:52 PM on j-body.org
I honestly didn't think Sony would pull it off. Huge, HUGE gamble on their part, but it looks like it'll set them up for nice profits for the next decade plus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 07, 2008 3:52 PM

---

Monday, January 07, 2008 8:47 PM on j-body.org
Wow, neither did I.

Looks like they're sitting smug now, reclaiming their honor after the Beta fiasco.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:09 AM on j-body.org
For some reason I knew the blueray was going to win out over HD DVD's....

The only 2 reasons I prefer Blueray over HD DVD's are...

1. My PS3 will play them
2. It's just WAY easier to say "Blueray". than "HDDVD"

Hell.... eventually we will all be calling Blueray discs BD's

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:35 AM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:so who is left on HD DVD cuz i thought warner and new line were the only ones left lol
i think the biggest win for sony was when they got disney and its studios to use blu-ray, that was HUGE

I think HD DVD's only major studio backing them is Paramount. Other than that, I have no clue. I'm glad with how this is going. Because now, I don't have to worry about getting an HD DVD player. I'll be just fine with my PS3 and it's built-in Blu-ray player.

98 Trans Am

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:41 AM on j-body.org
According to Gizmodo.com Paramount is going to drop HD DVD too.

http://gizmodo.com/341983/hd-dvd-really-dead-now-paramount-following-warner-to-blu+ray+only-party

---

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:45 PM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:so who is left on HD DVD cuz i thought warner and new line were the only ones left lol

Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal, and HBO are still HD-DVD.

AGuSTiN wrote:According to Gizmodo.com Paramount is going to drop HD DVD too.

http://gizmodo.com/341983/hd-dvd-really-dead-now-paramount-following-warner-to-blu+ray+only-party
Don't Believe the rumors - Paramount Denies Report It Will Drop Toshiba's HD DVD

AGuSTiN wrote:I honestly didn't think Sony would pull it off. Huge, HUGE gamble on their part, but it looks like it'll set them up for nice profits for the next decade plus.
No - HD-DVD and Blue-Ray where BOTH obsolete the day they where created. For today - most people are just fine with upscaling DVD players - which is the REAL (yet unspoken) competitor to both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD.

Now for the future(and today for some) we have something called a PC!! Download the damn movie in HD and use your HDTV or HD-projector as a monitor. Netflix for example does this today with standard def films. I don't know off hand any "legal" means of doing this today with high definition films, but there will be legal recourses for doing this soon(if not today). Of course some people aren't that worried about legality - but that's neither here nor there.

And for those opposed to PCs, there will be stand-alone boxes from several companies(this is already in the works) that will allow you to download movies or episodes of various programs to that box's internal hard drive. Just like any HD-DVR except with the ability to stream and/or download programs rather than simply record them. No matter if you chose HD-DVD or Blue-Ray, you've chosen a soon-to-be dinosaur.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:21 PM on j-body.org
Bastardking3000 wrote:

Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal, and HBO are still HD-DVD.

HBO is leaving HD-DVD too. Atleast that's what I read on another forum earlier today. Them and New Line will be abandoning HD DVD. It's only a matter of time before Paramount, Universal, and DreamWorks will too. They're the only studios that will still release movies on HD-DVD. No one's going to buy HD-DVD with just 3 studios backing them. Blu-ray is getting all the good titles, so everyone will go that way, when they start buying next-gen format. I just feel bad for the ones who've wasted money on HD-DVD so far and I'm glad that buying Blu-ray has turned out for the better, for me.

98 Trans Am

Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:22 PM on j-body.org
I disagree Bastard. Only because broadband in America is no where near capable of supporting HD content.

I've downloaded HD content off usenet. I'm talking 20 pipes maxing my 8meg/s cable modem to my 4 10k Raptor hard drives. HD is about 5 gigs per half hour. It still took a LONG TIME to download. The infrastructure will need to be seriously upgraded for lots of households to push that much bandwidth around. Cable companies already shut off high-use bittorrent users, they're not ready for internet HD, and it's not in their best interest. Phone companies don't have the cash maybe except Verizon.

Hell, rurals areas in most states STILL don't have ANY broadband.

And remember, HD content already has great codecs do deal with size and there isn't much you can do to get it smaller.

It's still faster to run around the corner and just pick it up from Blockbuster, or have netflix deliver it to you. Fact of the matter is, netflix's download service didnt even dent it's mail home service. HD is even further out.

Furthermore, you don't take into account that people like to own their shows and movies. Owning, storing and burning it from a download service won't be cheap anytime soon.

---

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:52 PM on j-body.org
upconverters are getting more popular and are a cheap alternative for people with big DVD collections

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:06 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN - I hope you don't think netflix is gonna be the only company out there to do this. Some of them are gonna let you purchase the right to download it rather than rent(just like iTunes etc).

And I agree HD content is makes for huge files. But that is more of a problem today rather than tomorrow. For example - Comcast to offer 160Mbps internet.
Quote:

Roberts is expected to demonstrate a technology that delivers up to 160 megabits of data per second: It will allow him to download a high-definition copy of "Batman Begins" in four minutes. The technology, DOCSIS 3.0, will start rolling out this year.
With cable kicking out DOCSIS 3.0 and Telco's with such things as VDSL etc, not to mention that either could just use FTTC(fiber to the curb), the sky is the limit.

Quote:

Cable systems largely enable download speeds up to 10 Mbps -- compared with up to 50 Mbps from Verizon's fiber-optic service FiOS.

"Cable looks like it will be able to keep up with the Joneses, thank you very much," Craig Moffett, senior analyst at Sanford Bernstein in New York, said of the new technology.

Roberts said Comcast plans to offer more than 1,000 high-definition videos this year, including up to 300 movies on demand that may be free or included in a subscription or a pay-per-view service.
Yep - HDTV ON DEMAND. All of their "on demand" programing does need to go across their data network of course. They're not the only ones who are gonna do something similar either.

High Definition Movie Downloads Today Via Windows Media(ok its only 720p but that will impove I'm sure)Musicgiants poised to offer HD movie downloads in 1080p.

Physical Media will become obsolete. Welcome to the future.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:07 PM on j-body.org
oops I screwed up linking somehow
Comcast to offer 160Mbps internet

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:44 PM on j-body.org
thats great bro but you addressed like 1 of 3 or 4 points I made then declared yourself correct.

Comcast already offers HD movies on demand. I have it right here. And those are fine, but that doesn't address ownership. That addresses rental. For that matter, same thing with netflix.

---

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:01 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:thats great bro but you addressed like 1 of 3 or 4 points I made then declared yourself correct.

Comcast already offers HD movies on demand. I have it right here. And those are fine, but that doesn't address ownership. That addresses rental. For that matter, same thing with netflix.

Bastardking3000 wrote:AGuSTiN - I hope you don't think netflix is gonna be the only company out there to do this. Some of them are gonna let you purchase the right to download it rather than rent(just like iTunes etc).
Just because its not on a disk already doesn't mean that you don't own it. If it bothers you that bad, burn it to disk after you purchase it and download it. But IMO that really isn't necessary. I fail to see what exactly I didn't address. Please enlighten me.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:03 PM on j-body.org
^^^ in fact I DID even provide a LINK to one such company that will let you purchase and download the movies in the future. Other companies are getting behind this - TiVo for example - and they're hardly alone.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search