Those crazy college newspapers... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Those crazy college newspapers...
Friday, February 09, 2007 12:36 PM on j-body.org
CCSU Op Editor Calls Rape 'Magical'

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?

Re: Those crazy college newspapers...
Friday, February 09, 2007 12:42 PM on j-body.org
I work for a university, in the health education department for the health center...we have a sexual assault prevention program coordinator and a men's program coordinator in our unit, I just showed them this as they walked by and they could not believe that a college would even allow that to be printed.

Friday, February 09, 2007 1:49 PM on j-body.org
Satire... sometimes, it's not appreciated because the idiot writing it is.. well... and idiot.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, February 09, 2007 1:50 PM on j-body.org
On one hand, yes, the thing should have been labled as satrie

On the other hand, it is still fereedom of speech.

my opinion: it would have been better suited to a tabloid that has its tongue firmly embedded in it's cheek as opposed to a reputable news source.

but don't take it out on the editor, take it out on the author.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, February 09, 2007 6:20 PM on j-body.org
Editor has final say on what is in and out... That's where the buck stops.

Friday, February 09, 2007 6:46 PM on j-body.org
the author was the editor, prolly the only way it got published

Friday, February 09, 2007 6:59 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

The Recorder, the campus newspaper of Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) in New Britain, published the piece "Rape Only Hurts If You Fight It," which was written by Opinion Editor John Petroski.

Quote:

"We are more than aware that we overstepped our boundaries and made a mistake," said The Recorder's Editor-in-Chief Mark Rowan.

Should have been more clear: Op Eds don't speak for the paper, they speak for themselves, the EIC is the one that has final say.

Monday, February 12, 2007 11:24 AM on j-body.org
That is absolutely disgusting... satire or not, people are stupid and something like that should not be written period. No one should downplay something like rape, or anything similar to it, even if it was satire. You downplay something like that.. some stupid idiot is going to read that and actually agree that rape is "over rated" and should be taken lightly... and not as serious as it really is.

That's the reason there's warning labels on things... you know at one point, some idiot thought it would be a good idea to make some toast while they were taking a bath, the toaster fell in and they electrocuted themselves (wait I think I'm thinking of hairdryers... either way...) I mean seriously... how many stupid labels are on products because someone was an idiot?

You downplay something like rape... someone's going to read that and think that rape is ok... and do it. Then some unfortunate soul will get raped, and have to live with that for the rest of their life because some idiot (and i do mean idiot) will read that article and think that rape is ok.

Not cool at all

Monday, February 12, 2007 3:00 PM on j-body.org
well thats Connecticut for you

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:27 AM on j-body.org
Does anyone have a link or copy of the original article? I'm not going to pass judgement till I read it myself.

As Gam said tho, satire often misses the mark if an idiot is is writing it. We had a columnist at my college that was the same deal tried to pull himself off as a satirical witty author, ala "Common Sense" but he was truly an idiot.

-Chris

Monday, March 19, 2007 3:40 PM on j-body.org
"With Great Freedom comes Great Responsiblity"

The editor should of exercised some. Two examples...

Author writes an article that's anti-Bush. Editor scraps it because he's pro-Bush. That's wrong.

Author writes an article that's 1000 cuss words in a row. Editors allows it under the cover of "Freedom of Speech". That's wrong.

I think to publish a poorly written satirical article that has no useful purpose, is offensive and has little artistic value is wrong.

That being said I haven't actually seen it.

---

Monday, March 19, 2007 4:07 PM on j-body.org
I prefer the battle cry of another arachnid superhero...

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to.

And yes, i do believe that nothing should be held sacred enough to not joke about (sorry, Angel), and that jokes are about the context and exaggeration....but YOU HAVE TO GET THE CONTEXT AND EXAGGERATION DOWN FIRST.

Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd is funny--as the exaggeration is the explaination of why they call him "Porky"

Saying rape is "Magical" isn't. Little context, and no exxageration.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:09 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]I prefer the battle cry of another arachnid superhero...

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to.

And yes, i do believe that nothing should be held sacred enough to not joke about (sorry, Angel), and that jokes are about the context and exaggeration....but YOU HAVE TO GET THE CONTEXT AND EXAGGERATION DOWN FIRST.

Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd is funny--as the exaggeration is the explaination of why they call him "Porky"

Saying rape is "Magical" isn't. Little context, and no exxageration.

I personally find nothing funny at all about rape period... (I have darn good reason not to).

However, there are certain (albeit few) contexts to which i'm less apt to be offended than others and just shrug it off.

Downplaying the seriousness of rape and it's effects, calling it "magical", some pig headed guy saying some girl deserves to be raped because she shot him down and happens to wear a low cut shirt, implying anyone deserves to be raped or saying someone "was asking for it"... stuff like that pi$$es me the $#%^ off...

Wearing low cut shirts or short shorts is NOT an invitation for getting raped... point blank... if you're not consenting to sex, it's rape... I don't care if you're a prostitute, lawyer, CEO, doctor, whatever. No means no period... end of story. If people understood the psychological consequences rape victims... or "survivors" face, I don't think as many people would take it as lightly as some do.

And for the record (before anyone brings it up)... women AND men who CLAIM to be raped just to "get back at someone" or "because they regretted it later" pi$$ me the @#$% off too to no end. It's people like that who make it incredibly difficult for anyone who IS actually raped to get any justice at all. In my opinion, those are one of the two sets of people who SHOULD be raped so they know what it's like and stop acting like ignorant @##$@#% @##$@#es. Those people, and rapists/molesters themselves.

So porky pig raping elmer fudd... I still can't find that funny myself (but I'm sure you understand why), but that's not something I'm going to scream "oh that offends me you sick b@$tard!" about. That's something I'm just going to shrug off as "eh... oh well". Anything outside of that sort of context... is inconsiderate and downright sickening to me.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:52 AM on j-body.org
Of course. No one deserves to be raped. Same case in point, no one deserves to be murdered, but we joke about it. Again, it's all in the construct of the joke, the context, and of course, the time the joke is told. I know your reasons for not finding jokes about it funny, but the fact that you brush it off shows me that you understand the simple pretext of the exxageration. In other words, the Porky pig joke is less about the rape, and more on the play on his name.

Which, imho, doesn't serve to lessen the blow of how serious a rape can be--which is what the "she was asking for it" crowd attempts to do. The only joke along those likes that i ever found funny was the one Carlin told about the guys breaking into an 80-year old womans house, robbing her, and then raping and murdering her, but again, that shifted the context from downplaying rape to, "The limits of how you can use the "she was asking for it" line." Since i doubt an 80-year old woman would be asking for it."

But again, context, and of course where and when the joke is told. A joke, with all satire lost, about how rape is magical because all women are teases and deserve it on a college campus (where rape is a problem) is not the proper forum to tell the joke. So hence, the rotten tomatoes get busted out.

It's why you never tell necrophilia jokes at a funeral. It's also why i understand *why* you don't think it's funny. Rape itself is horrible, and IMHO one of the worst crimes there is.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:08 AM on j-body.org
And necrophilia is just plain icksville.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:42 AM on j-body.org
Rapists act out of violence and power-hunger; not sexually-charged phillia (meaning that they don't do it because rape is what it takes to arouse them). A person of sound-mind will not pick up an (article) about rape and make any sort of connection between it and the acceptance of a lewd sexual act; much less act (in the form of rape) offending to or upon a (victim) who is scantily clad or otherwise appears to be "deserving or 'asking for it.'" Being "sluttily dressed" does not make you any more or less in the scope of potential rape victims. Case-in-point: the oldest reported rape victim was 88 years old; and the youngest reported rape victim was...8 days old.

elipses

information I learned from two sources: HS231 my freshman year at college, and later confirmed in an issue of Psychology Journal (with the simpsons on the cover).

in the same class the LA state police came in to speak (to the 18 year old freshmen nursing students; sadly I was an art major) about the "what to dos" if you've been raped. one of the questions that came up was that of revenge-rape claims. in those cases both parties are questioned and a trained investigator/detective usually figures it out by the end of the day and the claimant gets anywhere between a minor fine to obstruction of justice because of what you said above.

anyway; pathological science aside.

click here to learn how to avoid being raped.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 7:48 AM on j-body.org
KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:Rapists act out of violence and power-hunger; not sexually-charged phillia (meaning that they don't do it because rape is what it takes to arouse them). A person of sound-mind will not pick up an (article) about rape and make any sort of connection between it and the acceptance of a lewd sexual act; much less act (in the form of rape) offending to or upon a (victim) who is scantily clad or otherwise appears to be "deserving or 'asking for it.'" Being "sluttily dressed" does not make you any more or less in the scope of potential rape victims. Case-in-point: the oldest reported rape victim was 88 years old; and the youngest reported rape victim was...8 days old.

elipses

information I learned from two sources: HS231 my freshman year at college, and later confirmed in an issue of Psychology Journal (with the simpsons on the cover).

in the same class the LA state police came in to speak (to the 18 year old freshmen nursing students; sadly I was an art major) about the "what to dos" if you've been raped. one of the questions that came up was that of revenge-rape claims. in those cases both parties are questioned and a trained investigator/detective usually figures it out by the end of the day and the claimant gets anywhere between a minor fine to obstruction of justice because of what you said above.

anyway; pathological science aside.

click here to learn how to avoid being raped.

Maybe a sound minded person wouldn't pick up that article and think about raping someone... but an article such as the one in discussion shouldn't be published/written because it CAN push a person who had THOUGHT about rape into actually doing it. Like you said rape isn't about sex, it's about power. Some idiot reads the article and has a power complex issue and thinks to him/herself "hmmm... it's not really that big of a deal... let's go find some prey".

And no, the clothing type you're wearing will most likely not have anything to do with it, but the problem is the people who are not trained like detectives are who believe that such things can put a person in a position where they were "asking for it". A cleaver defense attorney can cook up anything to cast doubt enough to find the rapist innocent. Many rape trials are jury trials, and jurors are regular people, which is where the problem lies.

And yeah, some times "revenge rape" is spotted and the cases are dropped. But if the rapist casts enough doubt and is convincing enough to the detective in whcih he casts enough doubt on the credibility of the victim, the case is over.

Judo or any other form of martial arts will NOT prevent rape, and is likely to not lessen the chance of it happening. What if hte rapist has a gun or other weapon? What if his MO (method of operation) is to drug his victims? How's that going to save someone if they're unconscious? An increasing number of rapists are using date rape drugs because it's harder to prove rape because the victim has no memory of what happened usually... and by the time the victim comes to there may be no trace of the drug in their system (most date rape drugs are out of a victims system within 6-8 hours typically.)

Also, most rapes are committed by people the victim knows, which makes it harder to prove at times also. The victim knows their offender, it's easier for a defense attorney to cast doubt on a juror and push the "consensual sex" thing.

taken from the PCAR (Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape) PCAR

How to prevent rape
Quote:

WHO IS AT RISK

You are! Sexual violence can happen to anyone-regardless of gender, race, age, socio-economic status, or religion.

It is a common misconception that most sexual assaults are committed by strangers. You are more likely to be sexually assaulted by someone you know-a friend, date, classmate, neighbor, relative-than by a stranger in a dark alley.

Nearly 7 in 10 (or 70 rape and sexual assault victims knew their attacker.

Rennison, Callie, “Criminal Victimization 1999: Changes 1998-99 with Trends 1993-99”, Bureau of Justice Statistics, US Department of Justice, August 2000.

RISK FACTORS

Drugs and Alcohol: Drugs and alcohol are the number one factor that leads to non-stranger (date/acquaintance) rape. Many victims say that their ability to react was impaired because they were drinking or taking drugs, or that their date had been drinking and became sexually aggressive.

Drinking offenders committed over a third of the rapes or sexual assaults of persons older than 12.

Greenfeld, Lawrence. “Alcohol and Crime: An Analysis of National Data on the Prevalence of Alcohol Involvement in Crime.” Prepared for the Assistant Attorney General’s National Symposium on Alcohol Abuse and Crime. U.S. Department of Justice, April 1998.

make a donationDifferent Expectations: Acquaintance rape often occurs as a result of misunderstood sex role behaviors and/or communication styles. Don't assume that one form of sexual contact opens the door to other sexual contacts. Also, communicate your sexual expectations with your partner. If you think you are getting mixed messages, ask.

Believing No Means Yes: People who regard sex as "scoring" often believe "no" can be changed to "yes" with a little more pressure or force. Acquaintance rape often masquerades as seduction, with the perpetrators rarely feeling they have done anything wrong. They believe that pressure is a legitimate way to get what they want.

RISK REDUCTION

Although sexual violence can never be prevented, here are some suggestions to help you reduce your risk of being assaulted.

* Trust your gut. If you don't feel comfortable in a situation, leave.
* Be in charge of your own life. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to rely on other people to take care of you. Also, when on a date, don't feel you "owe" that person anything.
* Be cautious inviting someone into your home or going to someone else's home. Three out of 5 sexual assaults occur in the victim's home or the home of an acquaintance.
* Do not mix sexual decisions with drugs and alcohol. Your ability to make smart decisions is hampered when you are drunk or high.
* When going out with someone new, don't feel you have to go alone. Go on a group date or meet in a public place.
* Be aware of date rape drugs. Don't accept beverages from open containers and don't leave your drink unattended.
* Avoid falling for lines such as "If you loved me." If your partner loved you, he/she would respect your feelings and wait until you are ready.
* Avoid individuals who:
o don't listen to you
o ignore personal space boundaries
o make you feel guilty or accuse you of being "uptight" for resisting sexual advances
o express sexists attitudes and jokes
o act jealous or possessive
* Communicate. Think about what you really want before you get into a sexual situation, and communicate clearly with your partner. If you think you are getting mixed messages, ask your date what he/she wants.
* Be assertive. Respect yourself enough not to do anything you don't want to do. Your opinions matter, and when you say "no," your date should stop.

WHEN "NO" DOESN'T WORK

Sometimes, saying "no" will not stop a rape. Listed below are several ways you can react in a sexually violent situation. Thinking about what you would do before an assault ever happens can be your best self-defense strategy.

* Act immediately: Trust your intuition and get away if possible. Don't give in to a person's sexual demands in the hope that you can divert him/her later on.
* Stay calm. Try to think clearly about all your options. Your brain is your best weapon.
* Passive resistance. You may be able to discourage the attacker by talking. Persuade him/her not to commit the assault by making him/her see you as a friend.
* Active resistance. If you are not afraid to hurt someone, hit and kick hard-this gives you the opportunity to escape. However, fighting back may anger the attacker and cause him/her to attack more brutally. Self-defense training can make you more confident and improve your physical strength. Training is effective, but it takes continuous practice. It is not a substitute for common sense and awareness.
* Submitting. Do whatever you have to do to keep yourself safe. If you feel your life is in danger, your best option may be to submit. Submitting does not mean you consented. The assault is not your fault.

Also, only approximately 1 in 3 rapes are ever reported.

Statistics:

Quote:

Despite the significant milestones attained in the anti-violence movement over the past several decades, sexual violence continues to permeate our communities with alarming frequency. Statistics show:

* 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted by age 18 (Finkelhor, et al., 1990)
* On average, from 1992-2000, only 31% of all rapes and sexual victimizations were reported to the police(Hart, Timothy and Rennison, 2000)
* Probability that an arrest will be made when a rape is reported: 1:2. (50.8 (National Center for Policy Analysis, 1999)
* The overall probability that a rapist will be sent to prison for his crime: 16.3%. The average sentence: 128 days. (National Center for Policy Analysis, 1999)
* 7 in 10 rape and sexual assault victims know their attacker prior to the assault. (Rennison, 2000)
* Chances that a woman will develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after being raped are between 50% and 95%. (Population Information Program, 1999)
* One study estimated that, in one 12 month period, 302,091 adult American women and 92,748 adult American men experience a completed or attempted rape. Because some persons suffer multiple rapes, it is estimated that 876,064 rapes of adult American women and 111,298 rapes of adult American men occur annually. (Tjaden and Thoennes, 1998)
* Of female Americans who are raped, 54% experience their first rape before age 18. (Ibid)
* The cost of crime to victims is an estimated $450 billion per year. Rape is the most costly to its victims, totaling $127 billion annually. (Miller, et al., 1996)
* Women with a childhood history of sexual abuse are 4.7 times more likely to be subsequently raped (Merrill et al. 1997)
* Of surveyed college women, about 90% of rape and sexual assault victims knew their attacker prior to the assault (Fisher, 2000)
* In another survey of college women, 13.3% indicated that they have been forced to have sex in a dating situation (Johnson and Sigler, 2000)
* In Pennsylvania:
o During fiscal year 2002-03, sexual assault centers in PA served 37,811 persons
+ 10, 273 child victims
+ 13,481 adult victims
+ 14,057 parents, partners, etc.
o In 2002, police received 3,453 reports of forcible rape.
o Police arrested 1,432 people in 2002 for forcible rape. (Pennsylvania State Police, 2002)
* Persons under 18 years of age account for 67% of all sexual assault victimizations reported to law enforcement agencies. Children under 12 years old account for 34% of those cases and children under six years account for 14% of those cases (Snyder, 2000).
* 1.8 million of the 22.3 million adolescents in the United States have been sexually assaulted (Kilpatrick and Saunders).
* Of surveyed men who were incarcerated for rape, 40% reported their victims were children, and 80% reported their victims were under 18 years old. (Greenfeld, 1997).
* Seven out of 10 offenders with child victims reported that were imprisoned for a rape or sexual assault (Greenfeld, 1996).
* Child-victims of rape know their offended prior to the incident 90% of the time (Greenfeld, 1996).
* Juveniles are responsible for victimizing 40% of the child sexual assault victims under six years of age (Snyder, 2000).
* Women with a childhood history of sexual abuse are 4.7 times more likely to be subsequently raped (Merrill, et al, 1997).
* Female adolescent abuse survivors are more likely to develop eating disorders - 18% binge and purge, while only 6% of non-abused adolescent girls do so - and are more likely to use illegal drugs - 30% compared to 13% of teenage girls who were never sexually abused (The Commonwealth Fund, 1997).
* Girls who were raped are about three times more likely to suffer from psychiatric disorders and over four times more likely to suffer from drug and alcohol abuse in adulthood (Kendler, et al., 2000).
* Pennsylvania Statistics
o 1,471 juvenile (under the age of 18) females and 174 juvenile males reported forcible rape victimizations in 2002. Of these victims, 251 females and 72 males were ten years old or younger.
o Including all types of sex offenses and forcible rapes reported in Pennsylvania during 2002, there were:
+ 9,700 female victims (1, 539 were ten years old or younger)
+ 1,895 male victims (744 were ten years old or younger) (Pennsylvania State Police, 2002)
o Offender relationships to their child victims in substantiated reports of sexual abuse (Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare):
+ 27.3% parent (father/mother)
+ 16% babysitter
+ 13.4% household member
+ 10.9% sibling
* Teens 16 to 19 years of age were three and a half times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault (Rennison, 2000).
* 69% of teen sexual assaults reported to law enforcement occurred in the residence of the victim, the offender, or another individual (Snyder, 2000).
* In one year over 4,000 incidents of rape or other types of sexual assault occurred in public schools across the country (U.S. Department of Education, 1997).
* Nearly 24% of sexually active girls younger than 13 years old reported that their first intercourse was non-consensual (Abma, et al., 1998).
* A study of 15-17 year old teenage mothers found that in 40% of the cases, the father of babies born to 15 year olds were 5 or more years older (Lindberg, 1997).
* Female students who have been physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner in the 9th through 12th grades are at increased risk for substance us, unhealthy weight control, risky sexual behavior, pregnancy and suicide (Silverman, et al., 2001).
* 23% of all sexual offenders are under the age of 18 (Snyder, 2000).

(Note: Statistics quoted from the Pennsylvania State Police come from the Pennsylvania Uniform Crime Reporting System (PAUCRS), the system used to make federally required reports. UCR reporting in Pennsylvania is based upon the FBI’s definition of rape and does not include the rape of males, rape committed against the victim's will but without force, statutory rape, etc. Please note that the PSP follows the Pennsylvania Crimes Codes and other statutory requirements when filing criminal charges against accused persons.)

Many victims don't report rape because of the way society perceives the crime itself. Rape victims feel dirty, ashamed, worthless as a person and because they doubt how they handled the situation and beat themselves up mentally because there just HAD to be something they could have done differently to have made the situation go differently. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm a survivor of rape not once, but twice... which is probably why I developed PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

August 25th of 2001, I was raped at knifepoint by a guy who was a considerable amount stronger than I was. I decided at the time (if you want to call it that) that my best chance of making it out alive was to NOT fight back. I told him no, to get out of my car, tried to talk him out of it... it just made him angrier and quite frankly, I didn't want to die yet. I had no way of knowing whether or not he'd kill me anyway. Thankfully after it was over he got out of my car and I drove straight to the hospital. The police department that handled my case was very negligent (which they seem to be with rape cases... I'm not the only "victim" who they've not worked to get justice. Took them 2 weeks just to assign a detective to my case, the responding officers didn't take prints from my car (it happened in my car, and I had spent 8 hours that day cleaning and detailing every nook and cranny), they didn't even TRY to take prints. If they did, they did a helluva job cleaning my car afterwards and in the mere 5-10 minutes they were gone. Took the detective 10... TEN FREAKING MONTHS to subpoena my phone records (the attacker used my cell phone).. etc... etc...

August 5th of 2006, I went to the local bar for a drink after work. Small bar, I live in the boonies. When you enter our "town" you see a sign that says "Village of.......". We have a bar, a post office, and a gas station that closes at 9pm every night. Everyone knows everyone... blah blah blah. I didnt' get there until 12:45am (0045hrs), ordered one drink and seen my friend Shelly in there. I was talking to her, ordered a drink for last call... bar tender must have sat my drink down on the bar before I noticed it (I wasn't facing the bar), turned around to see a guy I'd went on a few dates with (We'll call him Bob) standing behind me next to my drink. I remember taking a few sips out of my second drink, I remember talking to Bob (but not what we were talking about) on the porch of the bar (since they were closing)... I remember pulling up to my house and turning the corner to head to my front door and seeing headlights pull up... and nothing after that except for a brief moment of "consciousness" where I felt scared, helpless, terrified, trapped, pinned, and an enormous amount of pain in a region you can imagine where it is. I came to the next morning, no one was there, but i felt like when I tried to walk my legs were filled with helium yet as if I had concrete blocks tied to my feet. I coulldn't mentally or visually focus on anything, pain in a region you can imagine, bad pain. I felt lost in outer space. I didn't "come to" until almost 13 hours after I was at the bar. Got to the hospital (had to have someoen drive me, I couldn't focus well enough to do so). There were signs of forced intercourse, bruises, but blood tests showed nothing in my system... wonder why. I know damn well it wasn't the one drink and few sips out of the last one I drank... and I've sure as hell never blacked out before.

Bob of course sent me a message saying he "didn't know what happened last night", but he hoped "things wouldn't be weird now". Yet, when the detective talked to him, he recited minute by minute details of every single little thing that happened... I couldn't listen to it all because it was to painful to hear.

Needless to say in addition to the PTSD, I have serious trust issues now with anyone. I don't like being around people I don't know, even if it is in public places. I can't work because of the PTSD and the fact that I can't handle any stress at all without going into a full panic/anxiety attack.

The whole process in dealing with rape needs to be thought out again. Not only is the victim "victimized" by the crime, but IF the victim's case goes to trial they are "revictimized" all over again... by having to relive the event in the chance the victim will find justice. Some cases never completely go to trial because the victim cannot handle going through the event again, yet they are still forced to deal with what happened to them for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps if the justice system was more sensitive to this, and people in general would understand what a rape victim goes through and how serious it really is without attatching labels to the crime or saying that "well she must have been asking for it" blah blah blah... or placing blame on the victim by saying he/she could have done something else to prevent it.... more victims would come forward... and more ignorant a$$es would be in jail for the things they've done to others. If the penalties were more fitting, etc. Come on... average time in jail ONLY 128 days?!?!??! What is wrong here?!??! The overall probability that a rapist will be sent to prison for his crime: 16.3%?!?!??!! Can you even blame a victim or "survivor" for not wanting to go through revictimizing themselves all over again for that??? What kind of message is being sent to the public if a rapist's average jail sentance is only 128 days and that only 16.3% ever get jailtime??? Then you add an "article" printed saying that rape is "magical" and crap???

People in general are stupid, and lack common sense. Some people look for any excuse they can to get away with doing something they want to, even though they know it's wrong. People will blame anything and everything they can instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. Look at all these rediculous law suits going on or have happened:

-woman spills coffee on herself and gets millions
-what about that kid who stole a car or whatever, shot at some people, and the parents blamed video games on their son's actions?
-what about the people who TRIED to sue McDonald's because they "got fat"
-all these medical law suits advertised for this and that
-people suing cigarette companies...
-anything else you can think of where when you get down to it, people made their own mistakes yet try to blame video games, music, movies, etc for their mistakes instead of taking responsibility for their own stupid actions

Write an article about how rape is "magical"... and I'd bet if it was more widely publicized some rapist is going to go rape someone, and blame it on the article... satirical or not... saying it gave them the idea and they wanted to "experience the magic"... and somehow they're going to either get away from it, or sue whoever published it for putting the idea into their head.

People need to be more educated on what rape really does to people and not be so judgemental of the people who are victimized by the crime. Penalities need to be more stiff, and people need to realize that no means no... period. And the scumbags who try to get away with the revenge-rape claims need to be punished as well... it makes things more difficult for those who were ACTUALLY raped. Maybe if they knew what it was REALLY like to be raped, they wouldn't be so ignorant.

Sorry, but this is a sore spot for me obviously.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search