Introspective on religion. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Introspective on religion.
Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:23 AM on j-body.org
It is said that god knows the path of all beings. This is carried with doubt due to the fact that we have the power of choice. Considering a Reality without choice is unwelcome to our basic nature to rebelling and resisting control. Is it possible that the only seemingly correct option is that the belief in a god-like deity is simply used to manipulate our choices to a more agreeable outcome?

With choice, we see that life has an innumerable amount of differing paths. If this is true, many alternate outcomes become a possibility. If religion is a source for a magnetic pole on a moral compass, a few select outcomes are a possibility. Perhaps adhering to basic moral values is the guide to a pleasant afterlife.

Failure to give the afterlife any type of characteristic, the possibility of an afterlife is unknown. Debate continues on the subject. If an afterlife does exist, we, as a people, have very little notion of what could possibly exist. If there is no afterlife, we, as a people, will not know the difference. If one exists, then consciousness will continue. If this is not the case, then we will be unaffected. This is the nature of a lack of consciousness.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Re: Introspective on religion.
Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:44 AM on j-body.org

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:35 AM on j-body.org
^ I agree.

Wha?

<~~~~PWN3D!!
Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:48 AM on j-body.org
I agree. Religion was created by man along time ago, to give people a reason to not be scared of death. Each religion is the exact same only with different names and worship, but the basics are all the same.

I believe in God as my individual higher being, but the world we be much different if religion was not an issue or topic. Most wars have been started over belief, if we all believed the same way we wouldn't fight.

I don't know j-body's yet........but I will!
Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:12 AM on j-body.org
Justen Meadows wrote:I agree. Religion was created by man along time ago, to give people a reason to not be scared of death. Each religion is the exact same only with different names and worship, but the basics are all the same.

I believe in God as my individual higher being, but the world we be much different if religion was not an issue or topic. Most wars have been started over belief, if we all believed the same way we wouldn't fight.

So as long as we conform to your idea of an ideal then we're OK?

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:13 AM on j-body.org
Justen Meadows wrote:I agree. Religion was created by man along time ago, to give people a reason to not be scared of death. Each religion is the exact same only with different names and worship, but the basics are all the same.

I believe in God as my individual higher being, but the world we be much different if religion was not an issue or topic. Most wars have been started over belief, if we all believed the same way we wouldn't fight.[/quote

So now you know the truth about religion and that it's a big lie because that's what you believe, right?

Give me a break, I wont even bother arguing with your logic

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:14 AM on j-body.org

So now you know the truth about religion and that it's a big lie because that's what you believe, right?

Give me a break, I wont even bother arguing with your logic

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:45 AM on j-body.org
No, I'm not saying agree with me, religion means something different to everyone, but before religion (pagan days) there were not a million different religions and everyone wasn't judged by what they believed but once religion became so hugely diverse a man sacrifices a goat and a monk practices isolation and they are weird, Christians pray to God, Buddha's have Muhammad, the Islams have Allah, they all have there heaven, nirvana or what ever they call the afterlife. They all have a book to live by, and they all have rules to follow. But Christians believe there religion is the ONE religion, Buddha's, Hindu's, Islamics, and every other religion out there has the same belief.

Why would i want anyone to conform to my idea's or belief's when its the bases of what I believe to not force my beliefs on anyone else, Religion is what you make of it, everyone has it in some form or another in there life, and thats good enough for me. Don't judge me for my beliefs becuase it is my belief to not judge any other person for anything.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:19 PM on j-body.org
Maybe the different religions are all correct?

Being a religious studies major at a catholic university, I've learned some interesting liberal ideas from studying the bible. The biggest revelation I've come to is that no where in the bible does the christian God claims 'he' is the the one God. There is acknowledgement of other gods (Baal for instance, or the Egyptian gods). One commandment given to Moses says "You shall have no other gods before me." and forbid idols. It doesn't say that he is the only God, just the only God for the Israelites and doesn't want them to worship any others, nor does it say that other gods do not exist.

Kinda interesting if you look at it that way.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:44 PM on j-body.org
Justen Meadows wrote:No, I'm not saying agree with me, religion means something different to everyone, but before religion (pagan days) there were not a million different religions and everyone wasn't judged by what they believed but once religion became so hugely diverse a man sacrifices a goat and a monk practices isolation and they are weird, Christians pray to God, Buddha's have Muhammad, the Islams have Allah, they all have there heaven, nirvana or what ever they call the afterlife. They all have a book to live by, and they all have rules to follow. But Christians believe there religion is the ONE religion, Buddha's, Hindu's, Islamics, and every other religion out there has the same belief.

Why would i want anyone to conform to my idea's or belief's when its the bases of what I believe to not force my beliefs on anyone else, Religion is what you make of it, everyone has it in some form or another in there life, and thats good enough for me. Don't judge me for my beliefs becuase it is my belief to not judge any other person for anything.

As far as I know, Christianity doesn't force you to believe that what you want to believe is all that will be available. There will always be other religions and me being the best Christian I think I can be allow others to practice what they want.

I can agree with you to a certain extent in which I disagree in which Christianity teaches you to convert anybody and everybody possible. I feel this practice gives Christians and religion in general a bad name. I give freedom to anybody to practice whatever religion they like, however I feel what I believe is what salvation will become of me when I have perished. That is why people believe in it, because they feel that that is what is right in their life.

So I can see your point, I just really wish people would stop thinking Christianity and any religion in general is such a bad flaw in society. It has done very good things for me as a person and i'm not the only one who feels this way. There will always be psychos in every religion who ruin it for everyone.

I just disagreed with your post because nobody knows for a fact that God and religion are man-made entities, yet people who don't believe it act like what they believe is the truth because they "have no proof" of it even existing.

I hope you can understand what i'm saying. I'm just tired and trying to get what i'm saying out.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:47 PM on j-body.org
Justen Meadows wrote:No, I'm not saying agree with me, religion means something different to everyone, but before religion (pagan days) there were not a million different religions and everyone wasn't judged by what they believed but once religion became so hugely diverse a man sacrifices a goat and a monk practices isolation and they are weird, Christians pray to God, Buddha's have Muhammad, the Islams have Allah, they all have there heaven, nirvana or what ever they call the afterlife. They all have a book to live by, and they all have rules to follow. But Christians believe there religion is the ONE religion, Buddha's, Hindu's, Islamics, and every other religion out there has the same belief.

Believing or not, and believing in what you want are all personal decisions. Beliefs or religion are usually part of one's culture and religion is mostly there to make life easier, to have something to believe in, to stop people thinking about death.
Wars about religion is like fighting about who's imaginary friend is better.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:22 PM on j-body.org
For a benign creator, I don't know. I'd like to believe that there is one (or are ones) but I also can't look around and see that we need guidance and faith isn't really helping much because it can be twisted into something horrid. I seem to be following a more gnostic bend of Christianity, but that's because I think that accepting something without investigating it is a sure way to get hoodwinked... bamboozled... Run amok... we didn't land on Plymouth Rock... wait, sorry for that little bit. You get the idea, we have the ability to investigate and reason, so if that was imparted upon us, why NOT use it? If we have the ability to learn about our past and evolution, it would be the highest form of praise to God to actually investigate our shared past.

For the afterlife, I also don't know. It bears noting that people who've died haven't come back to complain too much. Seriously, if there is an afterlife, who knows what it is, and in my mind, who cares? You have this life to live, tomorrow isn't promised, and yesterday is a stale-dated cheque. Make the most of today, and let tomorrow unfold as it will, and leave yesterday to its own devices.

For the rest of religions (as I'm approaching it from a Judeo-Christian stand point), if you can follow it's precepts and accept them as guidance for enlightenment, then best of luck to you.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:51 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

As far as I know, Christianity doesn't force you to believe that what you want to believe is all that will be available. There will always be other religions and me being the best Christian I think I can be allow others to practice what they want.

I can agree with you to a certain extent in which I disagree in which Christianity teaches you to convert anybody and everybody possible. I feel this practice gives Christians and religion in general a bad name. I give freedom to anybody to practice whatever religion they like, however I feel what I believe is what salvation will become of me when I have perished. That is why people believe in it, because they feel that that is what is right in their life.

So I can see your point, I just really wish people would stop thinking Christianity and any religion in general is such a bad flaw in society. It has done very good things for me as a person and i'm not the only one who feels this way. There will always be psychos in every religion who ruin it for everyone.

I just disagreed with your post because nobody knows for a fact that God and religion are man-made entities, yet people who don't believe it act like what they believe is the truth because they "have no proof" of it even existing.

I hope you can understand what i'm saying. I'm just tired and trying to get what i'm saying out.

I can fully understand what you are saying, and I completely agree, I used to be a bible study major at the local Christian College here, and it opened my eyes to some different standpoints. God is a huge part of my life, but I disagree with alot of things with the Christian faith, I would never force my religion or beliefs on anyone and would hope they return the favor. The church I used to attend before college was teaching that GOD is the only true god, and all other religions are false and they shall burn in hell, and that didn't settle well with me. I live in WV and that is most of the churches teaching here, so that is what I base all my thoughts on.

I am in no way bashing Christians or any other religious people.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 6:58 AM on j-body.org
Let's not confuse this.. After all, we have one guy here who thinks Buddists worship Mohammed LOL ....

Anyway.. One God, many names. We are told over and over again that God has many names, in all the Abrahamic religions it's the same statement.

There can be only one, but because we DO NOT fully understand how God operates, we cannot know if one is false or not.
I believe that God represents himself to various cultures in the way needed for them to see the truth. Are they all correct? Not likely, but we cannot really know, can we?

For those who are confused. Islam (the Muslim religion), Judism and Christianity all worship the God of Abraham.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Monday, May 14, 2007 9:01 AM on j-body.org
^^^so certain that there can be only one?

If so, i refuse to buy into a religion that parallels the Highlander Series on the account of Highlander II--the sickening.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search