2013 equinox ecotec engine timing questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2013 equinox ecotec engine timing questions
Monday, November 01, 2021 12:31 PM
i have this 2.4 ecotec engine to the timing and i had it once what i thought was timed and when i tried to rotate the crank by hand it stopped and i could feel it hitting pistons.

so i checked the old phasers against the new phasers and on the old phasers both have the same part number they are both black and the timing marks match to the dowel that fits the cam.

when i took the new phasers off the cam i had the exhaust dowel p hold at the bottom and on the intake, it was att eh 4 o'clock position. the crank was at about the 11 o'clock spot. also, i had the #4 intake valves open and #1 exhaust about ready to start to open.

so can some here help me figure this out. the photos show how the cams were at when i took them off just now after the failed attempt of timing them. the phasers are the new one on the top and the old ones at the bottom. notice the marks telling the timing marks and the phaser to cam dowel pins and the part number of the gm phasers.

i will post the cam numbers next of you think you need them.
thanks for any help. i have no idea why the old phasers were the same part number. unless the cams are the same part and work because of the orientation for timing.
thanks, bp
Attachments
exhaust-2.jpg (813k)
20211101_143350.jpg (675k)
intake-5.jpg (887k)
20211101_143345.jpg (666k)

Re: 2013 equinox ecotec engine timing questions
Monday, November 01, 2021 12:38 PM
well, it seems i got a cam in there that on is the exhaust cam then the exhaust phasers then the intake cam phaser end and then the intake phasers here the photos should be the intake, intake, exhaust phaser mount end, intake. i tried to go and edit but i do not see how to edit the first post.
thanks bp.
Attachments
intake-2.jpg (811k)
intake-3.jpg (784k)
exhaust-3.jpg (781k)
intake-1.jpg (898k)

Re: 2013 equinox ecotec engine timing questions
Monday, November 01, 2021 2:05 PM
ok maybe you can talk me thru this issue. it turns out the cams are both the same part. and the exhaust dowel pin needs to be where that picture for the exhaust cam is shown BUT! the intake needs to be at the 10 o'clock position. i know this because i set the old phasers back in and it timed up in about 2 minutes. and i had #1 #2 intake valves open just a bit and on the way closed if i would have turned the crank maybe to the 1 o'clock spot.

anyway, the exhaust when i had to align the colored chain line i moved the exhaust cam to me and got the link on, and as i let the wrench go the phaser stayed in place but the cam moved back counterclockwise to about where i started.

the intake dowel was at the 10 o'clock spot for the old phasers. but not for the new phaser. so i found the old phasers being they both have the same part number are #3 units and i got a #3 and a #2 unit the intake is a #2 unit.

i transposed the old marks to the new phaser and i was able to get it installed with the 1 and 2 cylinder valves just a bit open yet. but i do not know if the phasers will move the cam into a spot that will crash.

so it looks like i have to get a set of phasers that both #3 units. i did not know the cams were both the same as i was ordering parts. seem now one here or the equinox forums are helping me much. so this is a learn as i go. but now maybe someone on the performance site can help me figure this out.

the setup here is the old phasers to show how they work with the new chain. and the valves that are open the last picture show how the lea engine cams should be placed for setting the timing up.
Attachments
camshaft-timing-chain-sprocket-and-tensioner_25.png (55k)
20211101_161505.jpg (570k)
20211101_161450.jpg (548k)
20211101_161416.jpg (619k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search