2008 2.2 Burnt Exhaust valves - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2008 2.2 Burnt Exhaust valves
Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:48 AM
He all,

I have a 2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L with 76000 miles(Purchased 1 year ago). I have been getting a service traction light, but the code when it comes on is P0301. It only comes on when the vehicle is stopped or parked and idling. Engine light would come on some times but after changing plugs I don't get the engine light any longer just the Traction Light(I think the high octane fuel I am using now is keeping the plug clean).

After some diagnostics, it is because of burnt exhaust valves on Cylinder 1. The car starts and runs fine and using Shell V Power gas will keep the occurrences down to a minimum.

GM says the head is "Non-Servicable" so it is recommended to replace the entire head but the head is no longer available from GM(Discontinued).

Anyone who has dealt with this how did you resolve it? If you purchased a complete head what brand did you go with? Has anyone actually just serviced the head without issue?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: 2008 2.2 Burnt Exhaust valves
Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:02 PM
Best plan would be to remove the head and take it in to a machine shop for a refurbishment. They will perform a valve job, replace stem seals, mill, etc. While off you can replace the water pump and both timing sets. Pump is so much easier with head off. If you are anywhere near Las Vegas, I would be happy to loan you a core head to have machined to minimize down time. I rebuild these engines here in Vegas so am happy to help if needed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search