header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
header
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:37 PM
im looking to buying a header and i was wondering what is the best kind to get....i know i want a 4-2-1 design....and preferably one that bolts up to the cat....

Re: header
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:38 PM
The only ones out for our cars are:

***Keep in mind these sites are just to give you an idea of how the product looks***

1. Weapon-R 4-2-1 3pc. Header
Weapon-R

2. RKSport 4-2-1 Header, this one is similar if not the same as the Weapon-R
RKSport

3. Stan's/Bill's/Isuzu Performance 4-2-1 Header
Stan's/Bill's/Isuzu Performance

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:09 PM
I have the DC Sports 4-2-1 header and i felt great increases with it. So i would recommend it to others but it doesnt bolt on to the cat it just replaces the stock manifold which i had no problem with.

--------------------------------------------------------
2006 Yellow SS/SC Cobalt w/G85 package and Recaro Seats.
--------------------------------------------------------
*MOD LIST*
AEM Cold Air
Black Halo Projectors
GM Perfomance Cat-back Exhaust (Sport)
Many Many more to come!
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:25 PM
The DC sports is a 4-1 for the 2.2 ecotec, is it not?........
Do you really notice a difference between the 4-2-1 and the 4-1?

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:52 PM
a 4-2-1 is for bottom end torque and the 4-1 is for top end power. so it all depends on how you drive.

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:55 AM
NO.....It is phyical. The four collectors feed into two collectors and then into one collector.

4:2:1
It's hard to see where it goes into two tubes because of the angle

4:1
From Four right to one

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:57 AM
But the torque you get is correct!

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:29 AM
Mmmm......Torque....

Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:40 AM
Yummy Torque!

Sunday, November 06, 2005 4:10 PM
Does anybody know of a 4-2-1 header that will fit a 2005 chevy cobalt (2.2L ecotec) ?

any rumors of one coming out in the near future?
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:38 PM
ProStreetOnline has the Weapon R 4-2-1 header for Chevrolet Cavalier 2002 - 2004 part number 953-112-104 for $269.50 . A pix of the header is on their website. It looks like it will bolt to an aftermarket catalytic converter. Because of the length of all of this piping 4-2-1 I opted out for Pacesetters header, a 4-1 system. I'm using 2-1/2 pipe from the header to the high flow catalytic converter to the rear stainless exhaust 2-1/2" inlet, 4" outlet. You might shop around to see if you can find a lower price for this system or other 4-2-1 exhaust setups. For me the 4-1 Pacesetter system was easier to install. There is less weight involved because there is less piping to deal with. It was also easier to weld the bung to the collector area where the 4 downpipes merge for my Autometer EGT gauge sensor.

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:09 PM
Go to eautoworks dot com they hava a dc sport header 4-2-1 for the 2.2 but it cost about 430.00 which is worth the money. obx has a 4-2-1 but i can't rember what web page i founf it on. it also cost 450.00. Pacesette has a 4-1 for 170.00 but i heard they are junk. i hope i have help you a little.
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:12 PM
Looking for a header and exhaust system for a '06 HHR 2.2 with a 5 speed. Any assistance or info is appreciated.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:46 PM
If you wanted to bolt up the cat with a header, what would be the point in it then? The cat would still restrict it. Or am I just waaaaay off.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:45 PM
modern honeycomb cell type cats are much less restrictive than the cats of the past. Most cats on modern vehicles can flow enough exhaust for a pipe of 25% larger dimensions . The old bead bed type cats were terribly restrictive and became more restrictive with age. Our cars have a honeycomb cell type cat and the outlet is large enough to handle 2 1/4 exhaust plenty of flow for most N/A applications.

A rule of thumb for N/A exhaust is
under 2.4 litres and under 7000rpm max rpm 2 1/4inch single pipe
under 2.4 litres and over 7000rpm max rpm 2 1/2 inch single pipe

over 2.4 litres and under 7000rpm max rpm 2 1/2 inch single pipe
over 2.4 litres and over 7000rpm max rpm 3 inch single pipe

supercharged applications multiply displacement by 1.2 to figure roughly what size pipe you need

turbocharged applications low boost small pipe high boost the largest pipe that will physically fit under the car the reason for this is turbo chargers are a restriction in the exhaust flow and at high boost the back pressure can cause the turbine to slow down limiting the availible boost. also the less restriction the faster the turbo will spool.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:10 PM
i was thinking of eliminating my cat after i got my header would that be wise? Im not under warranty anymore so i can get away with it. Would i sound like a civic? cause if i will than forget about it. any info would be great thx!
Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:54 PM
eliminating the cat would do several things:
1. a little more power
2. check engine light will come on unless you have a way of fooling the second o2 sensor into thinking it is still there.
3. you will never pass emissions again unless you fit a new cat
4. if caught you can be fined $10,000 and or jail time (not totally sure on this one as it may just apply to buisnesses)

a high flow cat is probably your best bet as a compromise between legality and power.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:43 PM
Abraham Rivera wrote:i was thinking of eliminating my cat after i got my header would that be wise? Im not under warranty anymore so i can get away with it. Would i sound like a civic? cause if i will than forget about it. any info would be great thx!

In the State of California, once you get caught:
Fix-it ticket
$100 PER DAY fine untill you get it fixed and brought for inspection
$200 PER DAY if you're a mechanic by trade
$300 PER DAY if you're a smog technician

You'll feel a good gain, but don't get caught. The second o2 sensor will also cause you problems. It won't be worth it. Just get a high flow Cat (check ebay for Carsound or Magnaflow).

Friday, December 23, 2005 11:23 AM
i have a stans header f/s. when i had it on it made the whole power band fuller. especially from 2500-5400 rpm. i truthfully dont think the top end was effected very much by it. the only thing i didnt like about it is it always threw a code saying the cat wasnt doing its job(thats with the cat that came with it). maybe a diifferent cat could solve that problem?

Friday, December 23, 2005 7:18 PM
california FTL...
Friday, January 06, 2006 1:02 AM
LMAO....honeycomb. There isnt such a thing. Trust me! I work for Corning Inc. The makers of most catalytic convertors. They are a square cell. Depending on the coater cells range from 100cell pp, 400cell pp. Most modern cars are 400cells pp.

Just thought i would let ya know.

Anyways. To answer your question.... No matter which header you purchase, you will see a noticable increase in power. 4-2-1 design is generally for the lower end of the powerband; whereas the 4-1 is for the high end. Our cars produce enough low end grunt, so I would recommend a 4-1 design, like a Pacesetter product.

I didnt mean to come off as a wise guy know-it-all, or to start a flame either. Just thought i would correct ya.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 3:41 PM
Does anyone know if a Cavy header will fit on a GA 2.2 ecotec? I would be interested in the 4-2-1 since most of my driving is in the lower RPM range.
Monday, January 09, 2006 5:46 PM
Go to www.turbotechracing.com we have the pacesetter header that fits the grand am.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:09 AM
I checked www.turbotechracing.com

Found two for GA, both for 2.4L, nothing for the 2.2L ecotec.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:02 PM
tenspeed wrote:I checked www.turbotechracing.com

Found two for GA, both for 2.4L, nothing for the 2.2L ecotec.

Sorry about that we added to the details the Grand Am. We have both the painted and ceramic in stock. Check out the site now. Email us we can get just about anything any manufacture makes.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search