exhaust size: is bigger always better?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
exhaust size: is bigger always better??
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:45 PM
Ok so i am putting a supercharger on my cavi and i want to know what would be the best diameter for a stock internals motor with a supercharger........ 2 1/4 or 2 1/2.....Also does any one know the 1/4 mile time for a 2.2 ecotec with a superchager.....est....... thanks

Re: exhaust size: is bigger always better??
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:49 PM
The answer is yes and no. It depends on how big.

The thing that you have to think about is exhaust velocity with a supercharger setup. The bigger the exhaust, longer it would take for exhaust velocity to build up, the less power you'll have initially which will also @!#$ your powerband upwards slightly as well.

For the supercharger setup, 2 1/4" is just fine (in my opinion). If you truely want bigger, then go 2 1/2". I wouldn't go any bigger.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:07 PM
And that is just with stock internals.....?
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:00 AM
Yes.

But it has less to do with the internals you have and more for the amount of power you're pushing and exhaust you're creating. The ECOTEC exhaust ports are considerably small, so you have to think about how much exhaust flow is leaving your ports at one time.

If you were to do valvetrain upgrades, this would be a different story.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:19 AM
for just the gm SC i wouldnt go any bigger than 2.5 just dont forget to get a good set of headers and a high flow cat. the thing with exhaust is if you go too big you wil lose a lot of backpreasure which will actuall make you lose power, you need a little bit of bp for the engine to operate properly

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:16 AM
John VanCuran wrote:for just the gm SC i wouldnt go any bigger than 2.5 just dont forget to get a good set of headers and a high flow cat. the thing with exhaust is if you go too big you wil lose a lot of backpreasure which will actuall make you lose power, you need a little bit of bp for the engine to operate properly

It's not about backpressure, it's about the exhaust velocity.

Also, it's also been seen that with exhaust upgrades, you could notice a slight drop in pressure (PSI) in the intake/supercharger manifold.

Friday, December 01, 2006 11:34 AM
what if i have a supercharger how big would you go then?
Friday, December 01, 2006 11:45 AM
Andrew Anderson wrote:what if i have a supercharger how big would you go then?

Depends on what pulley size I'm running and other modifications.

I wouldn't honestly feel the need to go past 2 1/4" but alot of people will tell you 2 1/2". If anything, don't pass 2 1/2".

Friday, December 01, 2006 12:56 PM
yes i agree if you are supercharging but not going crazy 2 1/2" is fine to 350hp, if your plans are for more than that than 3" but be realistic with your self. good luck
Sunday, December 03, 2006 5:17 PM
I'm shooting for 300 horse with bolt ons..... Do you know if the pacesetter headers and cat back exhaust would be good... i think its like 2 1/4.
Sunday, December 03, 2006 5:22 PM
Andrew Anderson wrote:I'm shooting for 300 horse with bolt ons..... Do you know if the pacesetter headers and cat back exhaust would be good... i think its like 2 1/4.

I was under the impression it was bigger than 2 1/4" at the collector. Contact Pacesetter for an accurate answer. I know 1 of the customer service people, I would ask him but he's not online as much. Just call their # during business hours.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:56 PM
Quote:

I'm shooting for 300 horse with bolt ons..... Do you know if the pacesetter headers and cat back exhaust would be good... i think its like 2 1/4.

Not happening without tuning. Pacesetter is 2 1/2 at collector and the ext. pc goes from 2 1/2 - 2 1/4. I have it . You can have then ship you a copper header gasket as well. Their stock one is garbage.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:26 PM
How does it sound? Full pacesetter..
Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:14 PM
I had a Pacesetter Header with Magnaflow duals and a magnaflow high flow cat. It was extremely loud and a little raspier than I would have liked. I also installed a Pacesetter and Magnaflow cat on my cousins 02 LS Sport along with Pacesetter's cat back, it is also extremely loud, but not as raspy as mine was. As for size I currently run a 2.5 downpipe all the way to the cat back and it's 2.25 from there. And deffinitly have them send you the copper gasket, I originally had they're cheap gasket, nothing but leaks, got the copper one and they were taken care off, matter of fact I still use the copper gasket on my turbo manifold.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:53 PM
what about with a turbo?
Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:48 PM
Kyle Hinkley wrote:what about with a turbo?

The larger the exhaust diameter, the better. The reduced backpressure is what gains you power..... restriction causes back pressure.

Ideally, the largest and shortest exhaust system will yield the most HP.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search