2.4 eco head swap - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
2.4 eco head swap
Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:03 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has thought about maybe doing a 2.4 head and computer swap onto the 2.2 block then maybe boosting it???? just curious what everyone thinks??? <br>

14.164@95.74

Re: 2.4 eco head swap
Sunday, January 02, 2005 9:41 PM
im probably going to swap the whole engine since the bore and stroke is different <br>

2003 Cavalier LS Sport Coupe 5-speed(what else is there)
15.563@88.87
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the
world that he doesn't exist. www.avengedsevenfold.com
Monday, January 31, 2005 7:16 AM
I thought about doing that (the engine swap). After learning how much power you can get out of the 2.2 though, I decided there really wasn't much point in doing so. <br>

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:56 AM
Updating this post because this is something weighing on me right now...in my listing of performance mods I am planning for my 03 Cavi.

Turbo is in the garage waiting for the custom setup to be built this winter.

"Bring truth to your mouth from your soul when you speak" - KMK
Sunday, November 27, 2005 5:49 PM
Increasing displacement is perhaps the most-proven technique to improve horsepower and torque, and that's where GM Powertrain engineers started when developing the Ecotec 2.4-liter. For the new 2.4-liter variant, both cylinder bore and stroke are increased in relation to the original Ecotec 2.2-liter engine. The new engine's bore is 88 mm and stroke is 98 mm, versus the 2.2-liter's 86-mm bore and 94.6-mm stroke. These increases, multiplied by each of the Ecotec 2.4-liter's four cylinders, yield a total displacement of 2,384 cubic centimeters versus the original 2.2-liter's 2,189 cubic centimeters.
I don't think the 2.4 head will work on a 2.2 block without some careful machining, machining that may not justify the expense of doing it. You'd probably be better off acquiring a 2.4L Ecotec engine. I know you can buy 2.2L Ecotec Crate motors and GM even has the Supercharged 2.0L crate motor for sale via Pace Performance. If you turbo the engine for more power, you'll need to upgrade the internals (rods, pistons) so why not take the money spent in trying to put a 2.4 head on a 2.2 block and invest it in a 2.2 engine. YOU can always port/polish the cylinder head, valve job, CC the combustion chambers, etc. for flow/volume as well as using a bigger throttle body.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:50 AM
is there any type of good swap for the 2.0 s/c or should i just stick with it since its built so good??
Friday, January 27, 2006 12:26 AM
the 2.0 s/c found in the ion and ss cobalt is the same as a 2.2 eco except the stroke the bore is the same and my be the valve train so i would stick with the 2.o just because you can raise the rpm and not have problem but you may want to port and polish and some springs and a turbo instead of a super charger for more gains

Its Pronounced {TEAR I AL}
YEAH THE ORANGE BITCH CAR HIT FASTER THEN YOUR HONDA!!!!!!
hit a 15.43 on intake and cat back in wendover
Friday, March 10, 2006 10:07 AM
Yes...a 2.0 is the same motor and the parts are interchangable essentially HOWEVER there are quite a few nice upgrades on the 2.0. First of all the rods in the 2.0 are a NICE upgrade...most needed upgrade from the 2.2 Also the head IS different in the fact that it is a sand cast unit with better valvetrain for more flow. The only issue with the 2.0 is that they are more expensive and harder to find....thats the main rub. I wouldnt mess around with the 2.4 head...if you do a swap, the 2.0 head is what you need!

Finally though, if you already have the 2.2, I would get better rods and at least 2.0 pistons and be done with it, the stock head will flow enough to make lots more power

CHRIS
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:50 AM
Tyerial wrote:the 2.0 s/c found in the ion and ss cobalt is the same as a 2.2 eco except the stroke the bore is the same and my be the valve train so i would stick with the 2.o just because you can raise the rpm and not have problem but you may want to port and polish and some springs and a turbo instead of a super charger for more gains

It being de-stroked helps with more reliable revving and possibly higher revving capability BUT remember that the motor was designed for the limiter it has stock. Remember, your balance shafts spin 2x faster than your engine rev speed, so you don't want to rev too high. Everything must work together, revving high won't necessarily make you power unless you have things to support and work with what you're aiming for.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:01 AM
What about using a 2.2 head on a 2.4 block has anyone done this or is it possible?
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search