How should i race the automatic transmission? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How should i race the automatic transmission?
Monday, April 10, 2006 6:44 PM
Hey this is a stupid question but how should i race the automatic transmission. I have a B&M shift plus and i usually turn it on and set it to 1 when im racing. I usually just have it in D and hit the gas and it gets up to 70 pretty well with just i/e/h but when it shifts at 70 it bogs down hard. I was wondering if i should just keep racing it in D, or if i should put in 3 when i get around 5600 rpms in the 2nd gear of D. or just shift 1 to 2 to 3 at the appropriate times.

Re: How should i race the automatic transmission?
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:18 PM
What type of racing? Drag? Track? Autocross?

If its Autocross then i'd use 2nd and 3rd gear, atleast thats what I used and I did pretty good. But if its for drag then you'll have to wait for another response.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 12:45 PM
drag racing, but thanks for the info anyways ha
Friday, May 05, 2006 2:34 AM
I'm probably stupid for doing it with a lit of premature wear on the tranny, but I just manually shift the gears til i get to D.....I was wonderin about this too, but more along the lines as if there is some kind of shift kit made or a computer tweaker that can change the shift points or somethin. No help, but my $.02 was always with the wrong kind of Currency

Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:42 AM
Wesley Bullock wrote:I'm probably stupid for doing it with a lit of premature wear on the tranny, but I just manually shift the gears til i get to D.....I was wonderin about this too, but more along the lines as if there is some kind of shift kit made or a computer tweaker that can change the shift points or somethin. No help, but my $.02 was always with the wrong kind of Currency

Manually shifting won't help you at all and leaves alot of room for error because you can move the shifter so easily.

A shift kit would increase your line pressure and make you shift harder and more presice.

If you have a j-body (sorry can't tell, you didn't fill out your profile), the only way to change it is through a full standalone unit or the HP Tuners device.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:43 AM
Carly Milton wrote:Hey this is a stupid question but how should i race the automatic transmission. I have a B&M shift plus and i usually turn it on and set it to 1 when im racing. I usually just have it in D and hit the gas and it gets up to 70 pretty well with just i/e/h but when it shifts at 70 it bogs down hard. I was wondering if i should just keep racing it in D, or if i should put in 3 when i get around 5600 rpms in the 2nd gear of D. or just shift 1 to 2 to 3 at the appropriate times.

Are you hitting 4th gear in the 1/4 mile?

Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:09 PM
4th?? i think i just got 1 2 3 and the D with auto overdrive. it shifts around 35 mph and 70 mph. Dude my gf just got @!#$ pulled by a stock 89 beat to @!#$ pos rusted threw toyota small pick up at 95 mph. this isn't unsual for me. i raced a 99 300m and took it at the line and pulled away steady up until 70 mph then i hit the last gear and it flew right by me. wtf is up with that. when i shift 1 2 3 i get 2nd gear rubber consitantly while if i just put er down in D i get a tiny chirp on rare occasions. i got a shift plust by the way. why the @!#$ is my car so @!#$ slow after the 70 mph shift?
Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:34 PM
Carly Milton wrote:4th?? i think i just got 1 2 3 and the D with auto overdrive. it shifts around 35 mph and 70 mph. Dude my gf just got @!#$ pulled by a stock 89 beat to @!#$ pos rusted threw toyota small pick up at 95 mph. this isn't unsual for me. i raced a 99 300m and took it at the line and pulled away steady up until 70 mph then i hit the last gear and it flew right by me. wtf is up with that. when i shift 1 2 3 i get 2nd gear rubber consitantly while if i just put er down in D i get a tiny chirp on rare occasions. i got a shift plust by the way. why the @!#$ is my car so @!#$ slow after the 70 mph shift?

You have a 4 speed, hence you have 4 gears. Overdrive is 4th gear. 4th gear was meant more for cruising and not power, that's why when you hit 4th gear it gets sluggish. It also has the longest gearing ratio of all the gears.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:19 PM
its not 4th that im in when it bogs its 3. it shifts into 2nd at 35 or so and 3rd at 70 and it bogs bad
Friday, June 15, 2007 6:16 AM
you shouldnt hit 4th gear on the auto in the 1/4 mile you can top the car out at 108 in 3 gears with your foot to the floor, i only get halfway through 3rd gear in the 1/4 mile and i get 101mph in the 1/4

Monday, July 09, 2007 7:41 PM
Actually at wide open throttle, the car wont shift into 4th/OD until around 125mph. Its just the way GM setup that transmission to never get into 4th at WOT and especially wont happen when still at factory govern. The way I got around that is with HPTuners and set the shift point at 6800rpms which is where my car peaks in horsepower. This way when I hit 4th im as high up in rpms as i can get to grab as much power as i can in the last gear (being as long as it is). Im goverened at 135 though to keep my car from exploding, lol. Thats plenty fast for me and my setup. Any q's about what else HPTuners can do to the ECO?, let me know cuz the ECU is setup really simple.

-15.733 @ 86.893mph - Slowly Progressing 04 N/A 2.2L Cavalier

Friday, December 03, 2010 9:21 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search